Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Significance of Family

This morning I am reflecting on an interesting couple of verses that take place at the very end of Jesus' life.  He is hanging on the cross and speaks to His mother Mary.  Here are the verses - John 19:25-27 NIV:

[25] "Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. [26] When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” [27] and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home."

I had a reflection a few years ago about this verse, and how it was apparent that Mary's sister was John's mother.  In asking John to take her into his home, He would be reuniting her with her sister, and there was something to be said for family connections - (my blog on this can be found at - http://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2015/05/an-interesting-thoughti-wonder.html )

This morning, as then, I was thinking that it is a very interesting thing for Jesus to do, for scripture says that His brothers were also His followers (The Catholic Church does not believe that, but for this reflection it is not that signficant).  He was the eldest son (or only son), and in many cultures the eldest son has responsibility for His mother if the father dies.  In this case though, rather then direct his mother to live with one his brothers, He gives her to John.  Also, John was likely the younger of himself and James, his brother, so I one would think maybe Jesus would have directed her to James.  I guess though, practically it was John and the women present, none of the rest of His brothers or followers were present. Additionally, we know from Acts 12 that James was put to death by Herod (Acts 12:1-2), and know from other sources that John lived into his 90s.  Thus, Jesus, in what is clearly one of His final acts, prophetically directs His mother into a safe house, where she would be at home and cared for, as she was a widow.

So why reflect on this set of verses?  First I think it is significant that Jesus in His final minutes, looks to His mother and cares for her.  As I have written many times before, Jesus only did and said what the Father told Him, and this fits that category.  Mary is cared for deeply by Jesus, and by the Father, so much so that with almost His final breath, Jesus expresses that love. There is something very significant that His first breath was drawn in Mary's arms, and His last breath was drawn in her gaze!  He honors her, loves her and cares for her!  She was there at His very beginning and at His last breath, and it is very likely that she was present when He ascended into Heaven.  Mary saw God's faithfulness, His Love and sacrifice at a level no one else could fathom.  She held God's promises in her heart for 30 years as she watched Jesus in His quiet hiddenness, before His public ministry.  She knew what the Father had planned and she provided the earthly care, and support Jesus needed!  She didn't mess up the Father's plan, but rather she embraced it fully, gave her life to seeing it fulfilled, and despite the pain she must have experienced in watching her son's crucifixion, was there to the very end!  She is worthy of our honor, and admiration!

Secondly, in these final acts we see God's blessing and provision for His family.  In all the history of the Jewish people, family was significant, from the Abrahamic promise on down, it flows through family!  In this age of independence and busyness, it is very important that we protect and care for our families, even our extended families (Cousins and such) for that is what Jesus demonstrated here.  I am reminded of a few verses from Isaiah 58:6-9a NIV:

[6] “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? [7] Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter---when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? [8] Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. [9] Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."

God, through Isaiah, calls us to look to our own flesh and blood (end of verse 7) and here in John's Gospel we see Him modelling that, for He was her flesh and blood! I am reminded of the significance of my own mother, my own family, and my extended family!  I know that my life, and my connectedness to them (my whole family) is part of God's appointed purpose and plan for me!  In my pursuit of God, and my work, my interests, I must never lose sight of their significance!

Finally, I am just aware of the perfection of God's plan, His ability to honor and speak purpose and significance, and release blessing in the midst of one's darkest days!  Imagine how Mary must have felt watching her son rise to prominence, understanding that He was the Messiah and yet watching Him be beaten and killed!  I don't know that she fully understood all of God's plan, and to her this must have been absolutely crushing.  Yet in the midst of that darkest moment, her Son speaks and shows His love and care for her!  Wow!  Let us never lose hope in our darkest moments, for we know that the voice of Jesus can penetrate and speak words of peace and direction!  He loves us, we are part of His family, and he will never forsake us, nor will His will be thwarted!

I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks as I imagine Mary in that situation, and God's astounding love and care for her!  He loves and cares for me and you in exactly the same way!  Wow, didn't see that one coming!

Thank You Lord for the blessing of my family, those who share my flesh and blood!  Thank You for my parents!  Thank You for the blessings that You have poured into my life through them! Thank You for Your encouragement this morning!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment