Verses for today - Matt 11:25-30
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
As I was reading these verses this morning, Jesus’ statement in verses 25 & 26 caught my eye. I wonder how many children’s and youth ministries fully embrace these words?
It seems to me that Jesus is saying that the little ones have a better understanding of what He is doing, and that the Father is pleased it is so! In the previous verses, which are not exactly the lead-in to these verses, Jesus was talking about towns where He did miracles, and yet the hearts of the people were unchanged.
The Greek word used here means exactly that - little children. Literally it means not speaking, babes, but can mean immature Christians. Isn’t that interesting?
The Father is pleased to hide these things from wise and learned (Maybe we could say mature) and revealed them to little children! One could conjecture that possibly the little ones don’t logic things away or maybe that they are more connected to their spirits than adults? Oh Lord, help me to become more like these little ones who have revelation!
The rest of the verses are so loaded as well. The Son reveals the Father to those He chooses! Oh Lord, I pray that You might choose me!
If we come to Jesus and are willing to lay down our burdens and take up His yoke, there is rest for our souls!
Lastly, I am amazed at Jesus’ last statement. “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light!” Think about what His burden was at that time! He had to come and establish the Kingdom, reveal the Father, correct the thinking and beliefs of people, battle the religious spirits, and ultimately bear all our sins!
I am certainly not a scholar and these thoughts are my own, but I am wondering if He is talking about the burden he does give to us, which is just to believe. He does all the hard work, He takes the punishment upon Himself, and dies for our sins! All He asks is that we believe in Him, and accept the salvation He freely offers!
Crazy!
Thank You Lord for doing all the hard work, for loving us, and calling us unto You! Thank You for revealing the Father! Thank You for blessing children with real revelation!
Amen and Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment