Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 12, 2014

God's Promises Are Good And True!


The morning I am reading from Romans 4:18-21 NIV:

[18] "Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” [19] Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead---since he was about a hundred years old---and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. [20] Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, [21] being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised."

What a great set of verses having to do with faith, God's promise and His ability to deliver on His promise. I was really grabbed by the last line - that God has the power to do what He promises. I think that we should also add that God has the will to do what He promised.

When I think about the struggles in my faith, I generally struggle with those two issues - does God want to do what He said, and is He really going to do it? Abraham wrestled with these same questions, and was able to answer yes to both of them, in spite of the fact that it was naturally impossible for he and Sarah to have a child. Now Abraham waited for many years to see the promise fulfilled, and every year he waited made the promise that much more unlikely and even impossible to see fulfilled naturally.

I like what Graham Cooke says about significant difficulties and even opposition, namely that where there is a big impossibility, there is an even bigger provision in God! I mean if we really think about the fact that God is sovereign over all things, that He is creator of the universe, that He is all powerful, and has all things under His control, that He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, that all the silver and gold are His, that He is the Healer, the Provider, the Mighty Warrior, and on and on, we should never doubt His ability to do exactly what He says He is going to do! The problem for many of us is that we don't think about God this way. It is so important for us to understand His nature, His character and His will. The more we know God, the less likely it will be for us to doubt His promises and His ability.

So back to the two questions - Does God want to fulfill His promises? Is He really going to fulfill His promises? I immediately am reminded of Psalm 18 which speaks of the perfection of God's way and words: "As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; ..." Psalm 18:30. I am also reminded of Isaiah 55:11 NIV: "...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.". So God's word is flawless and it will always accomplish what He desires, and achieve the purposes for which He sent it forth. In other words, if He says it, He means it and it will happen! That is so true, and something we need to hold onto, and the very thing Abraham was able to hold onto through all those years.

The second issue (is He really going to fulfill His promise) also has to do with God's character, but also with our understanding of our value in His eyes. First, we need to know that His word is perfect, in other words, if He says it, He means to say it. Secondly, sometimes we just doubt God's word, because we don't think we are important in His eyes. The thought goes something like this, "I know God could do it, but why would He bother with me? There are so many more important things for Him to do, or so many more people who are more worthy, or more holy, or who sin less". The real answers to these questions comes in the place of relationship with God. In that place of relationship He reveals to us His heart for us. Its one thing to hear someone else say that God loves you, its a completely different experience when He speaks those words into your heart. Those three words that change everything - I Love You - really can change our lives. The Bible is full of verses where God expresses His love for His people, but He wants that message of love to be firmly planted in our individual hearts.

In that place of relationship, we come to understand that He does love us, has given everything for us and to us, even to the point of dying for us. Jesus describes the Father and his heart toward us really well in Matthew 7:7-11 NIV:

[7] “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. [9] Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? [11] If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

Paul writes about the fact that we are His sons and daughters - Romans 8:14-16 NIV:
[14] "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children."

I could quote hundreds of verses, but as I said before, it's one thing to hear the words from some other source, its totally different when they are spoken by the Lord. I was thinking about when I was in school when someone told me that someone else in my class really liked me. That message was wonderful, but it also brought with it a bit of uncertainty, and doubt. However all doubt was cast aside when the person delivered that message herself, that she liked me. That is what God wants us all to experience, that personal experience of His love for us. In that experience, the question of whether He would want to fulfill His promise, whether He loves me, whether He values me, or even knows me is answered for good.

So back to the original verse - let us be persuaded that God has the power and the will to fulfill what He promised to fulfill in our lives. His promises are true, and He will do what He said. We may need to wait for a while, but do not assume His delayed timing has anything to do with lack of love, or lack of will on His part! Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment