Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, January 29, 2015

He Will Never Love Us Less!

Yesterday I was thinking about sin and purity and how the Lord, very rarely talked about those things.  Paul spoke about them pretty regularly, but the Lord not so much.  I was thinking about the focus of so many of being pure and holy and such, and it seems that the focus of that is to make oneself more pleasing to God, to attract Him in some way.  The point that I think many miss is that Lord already loves us beyond belief, loves us perfectly, even in our sinfulness.

This is not an excuse to sin, but rather an effort to break a works mentality that is woven into the holiness and purity mindset.  Our desire to please God, should come out of the place of intimacy and affection for Him.  We are called to relationship first, then to obedience. In the same way that I don't want to hurt my sweetheart, because I love her and treasure her, and understand her heart, we are invited to love, know and honor the Lord.

In my life my relationship with my sweetheart developed over time, and as my affection for her grew, my life became more and more focused on our relationship. As that happened other things that were not affirming of that relationship were shed, most of the time without effort or much thought. It was my affection and love that drove my behavior not some set of rules that my sweetheart handed me when we first dated.

The difference in this example, is that my honey has a finite perspective, and a finite amount of love and finite capacity to love.  God sits in Heaven, outside of time, sees me as I am now, and as I will be both here on earth and in Heaven.  He loves me perfectly and infinitely and eternally.  He has paid for all my sins, and and set me free from any debt associated with them, and He has hidden me in Christ. His love is immeasurable, and overwhelming.  We can spend our life-time pursuing a greater understanding of His love and affection for us and never reach full knowledge.  God's glory is ever increasing, and His love for us is part of His glory - see the following three verses:

2 Corinthians 3:18 NIV: "And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

Psalm 115:1 NIV: "Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness."

2 Peter 1:17 NIV: "He (Jesus) received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Putting these verses together - God's Glory is ever increasing and we are participants in that increase.  His Glory involves His love and Faithfulness for us.  Jesus received Glory from the Father's love for Him, and His Glory is eternal and ever increasing.  If  the Father's glory is ever increasing, and includes His love for us, His love for us is ever increasing (infinite and eternal). He views us from this perspective, and thus He can never love us less.
 
Wow, do you get that? He can never love us less!

He already sees who I am in my perfection as I am hidden in Christ (Col 3:3).  He can't love me any less than how He loves Christ, because I am hidden in Him.  His love for me is part of His Glory which is ever increasing, never decreasing.

I am just overwhelmed by this reality!  I can't earn Your love, I can't change Your love, I can only love you in return.  You first loved me ( 1 John 4:19), infinitely, perfectly, with an ever-increasing intensity and passion.  How can I ever do anything but love You in return?  My heart swells with love for You Lord, as I meditate on this reality!  You can never love me less!

No comments:

Post a Comment