Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, September 2, 2016

The Lord's Patience


This morning I am reading from Matthew 15:29-38 NIV:

[29] "Jesus left there and went along the Sea of Galilee. Then he went up on a mountainside and sat down. [30] Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them. [31] The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of Israel.

[32] Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way.”

[33] His disciples answered, “Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?”

[34] “How many loaves do you have?” Jesus asked.

“Seven,” they replied, “and a few small fish.”

[35] He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. [36] Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. [37] They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. [38] The number of those who ate was four thousand men, besides women and children."

What I found encouraging about this story was the patience of Jesus.  It doesn't stand out at first as the main issue, as Jesus is doing miraculous works, and people are amazed, and the crowds are following Him, and there is much to be distracted by.  However, I believe that the statement that Jesus makes about the people being hungry (verse 32) was meant to test the Apostles and Disciples to see if they were leaning to walk in faith.  In the previous chapter, and thus likely previous in time before these verses, Jesus had fed 5000 (Matt 14:13-21) and He had clearly demonstrated His ability to multiply food.  I think that when He made the statement that the people were hungry, He was looking for one of His followers to say, "we have a few loaves and fish, can you multiply them again?"  It seems that would have been the logical conclusion from the previous feeding of 5000.  However, the disciples answer it with the faithless statement, "where could we get enough bread in this remote place".  I can almost imagine Jesus with a hopeful look in His eyes, as He makes the statement about the people being hungry, that maybe one of the group would suggest He multiply the little food they had, but no one did.

At this point Jesus could have clearly smacked them upside their heads and chastised them for being so slow to grasp His nature, and God's will and desire (which is what Jesus said).  Instead He leads them back down the same path as before, asking them what kind of food they had and proceeds to do exactly what He did before, and after giving thanks over the food, distributed it to everyone. He was apparently patient and kind towards them all.

The reason I am encouraged, is they (His followers) sound just like me.  I am so slow to pick up what Jesus is doing and saying.  I am slow to learn from what He teaches me, so He has to take me back down the same paths over and over.  He never chastises me for not learning, but always approaches me in love and mercy.  He is always hopeful I will learn, and so am I , but I am easily  distracted and forgetful.  I am so glad that Jesus came to earth and met followers who were like me, so that He could understand our weakness and inadequacy!  I am grateful that He extends grace to me today and every day,

Thank You Lord for Your patience!

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment