Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 28, 2016

Relationship During Transition


This morning I felt like I should read from Luke's Gospel, even though it is very familiar.  I love how the Lord can take a familiar set of verses and make them new again, or give them special renewed meaning in a new season. The verses I am reflecting on this morning are the following - Luke 11:9-13 NIV:

[9] “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [10] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

[11] “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? [12] Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? [13] If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

These verses are very encouraging to me as I am in a season of transition and waiting on the Lord to reveal His plan and purposes for me.  I have been asking, and seeking, and knocking on doors a little, and knowing that He hears and responds is helpful.

I have a couple of quick thoughts about the verses without going too deep into the original language of the verses.  First, it is interesting to me how the verb tense changes from verse nine to verse ten.  The sentences are almost identical, except for the tense of the verbs.  Apparently asking and seeking are answered immediately, but knocking on doors takes a bit of time.  The verb tenses for asking and seeking are present tense, while the knocking is future tense.  Going a bit deeper, the Greek word translated ask is Aiteo and it means:

1)  to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, or require.

The word translated seek is the Greek word Zeteo and it means the following:

1) to seek in order to find
    a) to seek a thing
    b) to seek [in order to find out] by thinking, meditating, reasoning, to enquire into
    c) to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after
2) to seek i.e. require, demand
    a) to crave, demand something from someone

Now Jesus, in verse 13, places these words in the context of receiving the Holy Spirit.  This is the same Holy Spirit that came upon the apostles and disciples at Pentecost (Acts 2) and is our advocate, our helper and the source of any power in our lives.

As I reflect on these verses I am reminded that everything that Jesus is speaking about is our inheritance in Him.  He made a way for us to have real relationship with Him, the Holy Spirit and the Father.  When we accept His salvation, we enter into a relationship with them all. So why would he be encouraging us to ask and seek for the Holy Spirit?

I believe the answer is quite simple and is related to our free will.  We can just as easily decide to ask and seek for other things!  We can divert our attention and our hearts away from God and in doing so, God allows us to wander away from Him.  He is telling us to constantly ask for, and seek Him, to turn back to Him, to be reminded of His love for us.  We need to do this every day, in fact sometimes I need to do it multiple times a day, and when we do, He is immediately available to us.

Going back the verses, I believe Jesus is talking about 2 things, relationship and direction.  Relationship is related to our heart's desires and both Greek words used here describe the object of one's desire and longing.  The knocking on the door, to me, sounds more like asking direction and is the way I commonly refer to decisions and direction in my own life.  When I am looking for a new job, I am "knocking" on as many doors as possible.  When I am going through transition, I am waiting for a new door to open so that I might walk into the new experiences and purposes that are revealed.  All the while I am doing the knocking, I am constantly embracing relationship with Him.

In summary, if we are asking for Him and seeking Him, He is immediately available for relationship.  If we are seeking direction, that may take some time for it to be revealed, for God's purposes and plans are revealed in His perfect timing.  He is more than willing to be with us and help us wait, to give us clarity in our present situation, and to bless us with relational intimacy, but He is committed to His perfect plan and that does have time components.

Thus, this morning I am encouraged in this time of transition.  I am encouraged that He loves me and wants me to walk with Him through this time of transition.  I am encouraged because the proper door will be opened, but while I am waiting I can enjoy the blessings of relationship with Him.  Lord, I ask for You, I seek You and I will continue to knock until the door is opened.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment