Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

On Judging One Another...Don't!

This morning I opened my Bible to the following verses and thought they were worthy of some reflection - James 4:11-12 NIV:

[11] "Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. [12] There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you---who are you to judge your neighbor?"

The first question that pops into my mind, is what law? I read a couple of different commentaries and they both say that James is writing about the law that Jesus passed to us, not the Law of the Old Covenant.  What law did Jesus give to us? He provided us several insights into the ways of the Father in His sermon on the Mount (Matt: 5-7).  Here are a couple of applicable verses:

Matthew 5:44-45 NIV:
[44] "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [45] that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

Matthew 7:1-2 NIV:
[1] “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. [2] For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Additionally, He gave us a new Commandment - John 13:34 NIV: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Putting these together we can gain a very solid understanding of what is expected of us in our actions towards each other.  We should love as Jesus loved, love as the Father loves, and not judge one another.  Any judgment towards a fellow man, any harsh language about a brother, is effectively going against the law that Jesus passed to us, and in effect saying either that His law isn't sufficient, or that we know better than Him.  Ouch!

Secondly, as I think about what James is saying here, I think that having a critical spirit falls into this category.  Slander means to falsely accuse one, but some of the other translations have used "speak against" and I think that includes a wider category of negative speaking.  What we say might be true, but unhelpful, or we might calling someone's attention to something they had not seen before in the subject of the criticism. In either case, our speaking would be against the individual we are called to love, as Jesus loved.  We are called to lay down our lives for one another.  If our words are not helpful, encouraging, and spoken in love to the subject themselves, rather than to someone else, then I think they fall into "speaking against".

Finally, we are called to love as a brother or sister, not direct another's life as a superior. We are called to serve, not be served (Mark 10:42-45). Taking on the role of superior over someone else's life is taking a position that is for the Lord only.  We are not substitutes for the Lord, as if He is unable to be Lord in each person's life.  In taking on this role, we are effectively judging His work and finding fault in it. Yikes!  This is essentially what James is saying here in these verses.

So today, I am encouraged to look at my brothers and sisters in love, to banish my critical and judgmental nature, and to look for ways to love them and encourage them.  I know that the Lord loves and treasures every person, regardless of their life choices, life situations, and life experiences, most of which I will never know.  If He, who knows everything about each person, loves them beyond comprehension, who do I think I am to think or act differently?  Lord, help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment