Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, June 30, 2018

A Better Hope, A Better Covenant!

This morning I felt like I should read from Hebrews, Chapter Seven, and was reading through that chapter and verse 19 caught my attention.  I have included a few other verses for context - Hebrews 7:18-19, 22, 24-25 NIV:

[18] "The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless [19] (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God."

[22] "Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant."

[24]..." but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. [25] Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."

In this chapter the author of the letter is getting into some deep and complicated theological arguments that were specific to Jesus becoming the High Priest, and it is necessary for the Jewish citizen to understand how the old covenant was replaced by the New Covenant, and how Jesus met the requirements of the old, and how the old covenant was itself a type and shadow of the future.  This is critical stuff for them, us who were not raised within that system, less so, but still important to understand.

Personally I am far less worried about what was set aside, instead choosing to focus on the new that was established by Jesus.   The author calls the New Covenant a better covenant, and that is good enough for me! :-)

The key components I draw from these verses are as follows:

1) The New Covenant offers a better hope.
2) The New Covenant is provided that we might draw near to God.
3) Jesus is the guarantor of the New Covenant, having laid down His life as His oath.
4) Jesus is able to completely save those that come to Him in faith.
5) Jesus is our eternal intercessor!

Without getting into the deep connections these statements have to the Old Covenant, I can still enjoy and relish these simple truths.  Our greatest hope is in the New Covenant established by Jesus, through the shedding of His own blood. We enter into the covenant with God, through faith in Jesus, there is no other way!  God sent Jesus to earth not to judge people but to save them, (John 3:16-17) and welcome them into relationship with Himself (John 14:23)!

Jesus is the guarantor, the one who put down the guarantee for this Covenant, the contract.  When my daughter bought her first car, I co-signed, and was effectively guaranteeing I would make payments (lay down the money) should she fail to do so.  In the New Covenant, Jesus laid down His life, His body and His blood to guarantee this contract, this New Covenant.  He took our place, took our punishment, took upon Himself ALL our sin, and paid for it all with His blood!  Because of this He is able to save completely those who come to Him through faith.  As He said, "It is Finished!" (John 19:30), and in addition to everything else those three words meant, it also meant to New Covenant had been signed and sealed!

Now Jesus lives in Glory (Eph 1:19-21), seated at the right hand of the Father (Acts 2:33), with all authority and power (Matt 28:18) , and in that place He always lives and intercedes for us! That is an amazing picture, and an even more amazing reality.  The Greek word here translated intercede is the word Entugchano and it is defined as follows:

1) to light upon a person or a thing, fall in with, hit upon, a person or a thing
2) to go to or meet a person, esp. for the purpose of conversation, consultation, or supplication
3) to pray, entreat
4) make intercession for any one

I am always amazed when the word is translated one of the lesser (in order listed) definitions.  If I think Jesus is just sitting in Heaven asking the Father to love me, forgive me and help me (my idea of intercession), I miss the fact that this also means that Jesus will come to me for the purpose of conversation, consultation, and direction.  Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit make their home in me (John 14:23, John 14:16-17)!  They come to me and help me!  That is much better, in my opinion, then prayers from afar! It is Their desire to be with me!  That is just crazy amazing!

Lord, thank You for Your love, for Your sacrifice, for Your guarantee of the New Covenant, and for Your Entugchano!  That is a better hope, and a better covenant!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment