Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

New Levels of Awareness and Authority

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from Mark's Gospel, the story of the Syro-Phoenician woman.  It has always been a story that interested me, but this morning the last verses are what caught my attention.  Here are the verses - Mark 7:24-30 NIV:

[24] "Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. [25] In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an impure spirit came and fell at his feet. [26] The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.

[27] “First let the children eat all they want,” he told her, “for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs.”

[28] “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs.”

[29] Then he told her, “For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter.”

[30] She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone."

What struck me this morning was the awareness Jesus had of the demonic presence, and how He knew it had left the daughter without ever visiting her, praying for her or even seeing her.  This seems to me to be a whole new level of Spiritual Authority and intimacy being demonstrated by Jesus.  We know of the instance with the Centurion's servant as well, who was healed from a distance (Matt 8:5-13).

Often times when I read these stories, I just think they are normal because Jesus is the Son of God, and of course He would be able to do these things.  What I just don't keep fresh in my mind always is that Jesus had voluntarily emptied Himself of His Divinity (Phil 2:6-8), and came as a humble man.  He wasn't operating in His divine nature here, instead He was demonstrating the power of obedience and hearing God the Father, and operating a simply a man.  In this case we can say He was demonstrating to us what is possible for us to do.  That is certainly beyond my present experience.

We certainly believe God can answer prayers, and that we don't need to be present to the person for whom we are praying, so that is not surprising , but what caught my eye was His sureness that the demon had fled and His clear authority.  He knew the demon was gone and proclaimed it.  He wasn't hoping, He wasn't proclaiming something, for the sake of proclaiming it, He knew.

Lord,  there is clearly a whole level of stuff I am not even aware of in my life.  When I pray for someone, I usually am hopeful, sometimes expectant and even at times confident, but never to the point that I know exactly what has happened and why.  Lord, I am encouraged that this level of awareness and intimacy is surely possible for each of us.  I am encouraged that You called us to do the same and greater still (John 14:12).  I am encouraged that I am not limited to my natural and actual setting, but able to effectively minister even at a distance.  Lord I pray that You would help me to grow in my understanding and intimacy that I might walk in this level of spiritual awareness and authority.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment