Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Difficulty and Perspective

This morning I am reading from 1 Peter 4 and realized this is one of those sets of verses that I don't like to read, because of my desire to be liked by all, and my desire to not suffer.

1 Peter 4:12-16 NIV:

[12] "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. [13] But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. [14] If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. [15] If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. [16] However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name."

Its all good imagining this happening to other people, and I would be happy to pray for courage and strength for them, and be for them in my heart and mind.  However, if this was happening to me, I would likely have a different response!

Recently I was reflecting on how when I read the scriptures, I often read about a situation, but already know how it will end up, so its difficult to really empathize with those in the situation.  For example, when reading the Book of Exodus, Chapter 14, where the Israelites are trapped between the sea and Pharaoh's army.  I know how they will escape, so I have a hard time appreciating how they felt, when facing certain death, or at least a return to slavery.    God told Moses he was going to give Himself glory through the Egyptians, but didn't tell him how, until after they were trapped, and needed an escape immediately!

However, this morning as I am reflecting on this, I realize that my view of the Israelites in that situation, knowing how they were going to be set free, is the same view that God had, minus any personal involvement.  He knew what was going to happen as He views our lives outside of time!   If He looked, He would have seen the same thing as I now see, and known the Israelites would be saved.  I hope that makes sense!  Obviously He had everything to do with their being set free, but the vantage point of being outside of time, allows Him to look "back" in time, and to look "forward" in time as well.  Note: direction only matters to those who are in time.

If God is outside of time, He sees everything from the beginning of time to the end of time and everything in between.  He sees where He intervenes, at just the right time, sees how His interaction affects lives, and sees everything that will happen in each of our lives.  It is a perfect vantage point, and one that produces no surprises, in time.  He knows what happens, when it happens, what it affects, and understands all perfectly.  When He looks at my life He sees the whole expanse of my life, beginning to end, and there are no surprises.

This morning, in reading Peter's less then encouraging words (at least to me) I am reminded to pray for the Lord to give me His vantage point, and to see that it is similar to what Peter is expressing.  God will be glorified!  God's will is going to be accomplished.  We are going to become like Him, more and more and everything in our life moves us within the context of time, which God sees, controls and takes into account.  God's perspective is perfect, and He is speaking words of hope, though Peter.

I feel like the Holy Spirit is saying, embrace the present with the understanding that Your future is already understood, and its good!  Embrace the present, even if it is difficult, as it leads to greater things, greater intimacy with His Spirit, and the spirit of glory that will rest on you.

Lord, help me to look at all difficulty and testing this way.  Help me to look to you rather than to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment