Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Receive, Respond, Reflect and Rejoice!

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from Paul's letter to Titus 3:3-8 NIV:

[3] "At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. [4] But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, [5] he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, [6] whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, [7] so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. [8] This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone."

I really like Paul's summary of the Gospel message here.  He calls Jesus the kindness and love of God our Savior, and that is a wonderful name.  Jesus is NOT the judgment and punishing of God, but rather the kindness and love of God!  He saved us because of His kindness, love and mercy, while we were still sinners.  This is true of us all, for His salvation is just as real today as it ever has been.

Secondly, his description of our transformation, "washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" is so helpful.  It is not self-purification and works, but rather rebirth and renewal both of which the Lord accomplishes in us.  We are receivers of God's abundant grace and mercy.  Our job in this whole thing is to receive and acknowledge the great gift we have been given.  In the end, our efforts to do good are simply a response of gratitude for all that we have been given!  We are responding to His initiation, to His action, to His offer, to His love, and then called to reflect that back to the world around us!

I guess I could summarize the Gospel it as receive, respond and reflect, all accomplished in a spirit of gratitude!  Or maybe it could be summed up as receive, respond, reflect and rejoice!

Thank You Lord for Your simple truths and encouragements!

No comments:

Post a Comment