Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, September 18, 2020

Prepared to Be Salt and Light

 

This morning I felt led to reflect on some verses from Paul's letter to the Colossians 4:2-6 NIV:

[2] "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. [3] And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. [4] Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. [5] Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

As is often the case, in my reflection, I am starting at the end and working my way backwards to the beginning.  In these set of verses, it is verse 6 that grabs my attention the most.  I just like the statement, and think that Paul is providing encouragement to the Church, in how we should be respond, how we should talk and how we should prepare for conversations with those who are outside the faith.  Adam Clarke in his commentary writes this about verse 6:

"Let all your conversation be such as may tend to exemplify and recommend Christianity; let it not only be holy, but wise, gracious, and intelligent. A harsh method of proposing or defending the doctrines of Christianity only serves to repel men from those doctrines, and from the way of salvation. Salt, from its use in preserving food from corruption, and rendering it both savoury and wholesome, has always been made the emblem of wisdom. The word has been also used to express in composition or conversation what is terse, comprehensive, useful, elegant, and impressive."  ( http://classic.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?book=col&chapter=4&verse=6#Col4_6)

We don't use the phrase "Seasoned with Salt" any more, while I like Adam's commentary above, I think maybe Paul's point is that there should be something in our conversation that inspires greater hunger and thirst.  We have a need and desire for a certain amount of salt, and salt added to foods tastes better, and in some thin like potato-chips, makes them almost addictive.  In the a similar way, salt added to food also causes a greater thirst.  Is it possible to be so flavorful in our conversations with others that we leave them wanting to hear more, leave them thirsty for what we have, namely a relationship with Jesus?

Stepping back a a few words in the same verse, Paul encourages us to be aware of our conversation, making sure that it is always full of grace.  What a great encouragement!  Full of grace, in other words, that is what flows out of us, grace!  Grace can be defined as unmerited favor, and that is certainly an attractive trait for us to expose in our conversations.  Imagine if everyone you talked to and interacted with, felt like you really favored them, even if you just met them.  We all like to be recognized for who we are, to be seen as attractive and interesting.  If we consider each person we meet as favored by God, which they are, and a unique work of His creation, which they are, and determine to identify that which is beautiful and lovely and unique about them, we will find ourselves in much demand for conversation! :-)  Oh Lord, help us to be like You!

In verse 5, Paul speaks of being prepared, making the most of every opportunity, being wise in how we act. Sometimes, as Christian's we can be judgmental towards the activities of those outside the church, treating them as if there behavior is offensive.  We act like we are above their sinful ways, even as if we are better than them, forgetting that but for the grace and mercy of the Lord, we would be exactly like them, steeped in our own sin. I believe this is part of what Paul is encouraging us to do, to remember who were were, to put on grateful mindset, and from that attitude of gratitude and thankfulness to interact with those for whom the Lord also died.  Wisdom could be expressed as embracing God's mindset, recognizing His thoughts, and as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, He thinks each person we meet is the work of His hands!  Oh, that we would learn to walk in the mercy and compassion of the Lord in all our dealings with everyone we know and meet.  Help me Lord!

Finally, going back to verse 2, Paul encourages us to pray, to be watchful and thankful.  For me, prayer is simply a constant communication with the Lord. I am talking and listening, aware that He is with me and guiding me.  Being watchful has to do with our willingness to be His representatives, looking for opportunities and situations where we can make a difference.  Watchfulness also has to do with recognizing the spiritual environment we live within, and being aware of the enemies tactics and attacks.  Without being all weird and seeing him behind everything, we do need to be alert to this reality. Thankfulness is such a wonderful characteristic and state.  It means that we have a perception that is not rooted in selfishness and instead, we are turning our eyes and hearts to the Lord, recognizing that all good is from Him.

Oh Lord, I pray that You would help me today to embrace these encouragements from Paul.  Help me to have my eyes open, praying constantly, looking for opportunities to bless, to encourage, to extend grace and favor, to share the blessings You have provided to me!  Help to make the most of every situation and opportunity!  Help me to be salt and light to those around me!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment