Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

A Time for Suddenly!

This morning as I have been praying I felt like the Lord said the theme for today is "Suddenly".  I started doing some quick research on that word and it is pretty different in its usage between the Old and New Testaments.   In the Old Testament you really didn't want to experience a suddenly, for this was usually something bad, for example:

Job 1:19 NIV

when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you! ”

Psalm 64:7 NIV

But God will shoot them with his arrows; they will suddenly be struck down.

Proverbs 6:15 NIV

Therefore disaster will overtake him in an instant; he will suddenly be destroyed---without remedy.

Jeremiah 6:26 NIV

Put on sackcloth, my people, and roll in ashes; mourn with bitter wailing as for an only son, for suddenly the destroyer will come upon us.


However in the New Testament, the suddenlys seem to be related to God's intervention, in a good way, often times angelic visitors, or such.  Here are a couple of examples:

Matthew 28:9 NIV

Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.

Luke 2:13 NIV

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

Acts 1:10 NIV

They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.

Acts 12:7 NIV

Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. “Quick, get up!” he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

Acts 16:26 NIV

Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone's chains came loose.


Now this is not a complete list, nor does it represent 100% of the times, in either case, but there is something about God's timing, and our waiting that seems to be in the mix of late.  One of the times suddenly is not related to destruction in the Old Testament is found in Isaiah, and it has to do with the release of prophetic words, and has always been a favorite verse of mine.  Here are the verses - Isaiah 48:3-7 NIV:

[3] "I foretold the former things long ago, my mouth announced them and I made them known; then suddenly I acted, and they came to pass. 

[4] For I knew how stubborn you were; your neck muscles were iron, your forehead was bronze. 

[5] Therefore I told you these things long ago; before they happened I announced them to you so that you could not say, 'My images brought them about; my wooden image and metal god ordained them.' 

[6] You have heard these things; look at them all. Will you not admit them? “From now on I will tell you of new things, of hidden things unknown to you. 

[7] They are created now, and not long ago; you have not heard of them before today. So you cannot say, 'Yes, I knew of them.'


If I look closely at these verses, I see two things, the fulfillment of long held promises, and the release of new promises (at least that is how I read them as an optimist).  I believe the Lord is about releasing promise fulfilment and new promises!  We are stepping into a suddenly season.  I am reminded of a couple of scriptures regarding prophecy, first Paul's writing about prophecy in 1 Corinthians 14:24-25 NIV:

[24] But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, [25] as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

- and - 

1 Corinthians 14:31-32,39 NIV:

[31] "For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. [32] The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets."

[39] "Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues."

- and -  

Acts 15:32 NIV:

"Judas and Silas, who themselves were prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the believers."

It seems to me that the Lord wants to release encouragement, and strategy, fulfilment of old promises and birth new ones. It seems that the Lord's perfect timing is quickly coming upon us, and while things have been long awaited, they will occur quickly!  Things that have been prayed for year after year will suddenly come to pass!  

I feel like the Lord is stirring up the gift of prophecy, to release encouragement and to strengthen our hearts, minds and spirits!  This is not a time of Old Testament suddenlys, but rather a time for New Testament suddenlys, where God steps in and moves, where God release angelic helpers, where God steps into the situation and completely changes the situation, bringing release, renewal, fulfillment and new direction!! 

Come Lord Jesus!  Release the gift of Prophecy over our church, over all Your Church!  Come Lord, release the suddenlys over our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment