Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Don't Get Off The Elevator Too Early!

This morning I found myself being reminded of the theme I started to reflect on before my vacation, that of the spiritual realm, and our need to understand more about that realm, as we are affected by it, even if we don't realize it is there.  Anyway, as I was thinking about that theme and asking the Lord what scripture I should read I felt led to read from Joel, and remembered there were verses that Peter quoted out of Joel on Pentecost, the day the Holy Spirit was poured out in great power.  As I turned to that chapter, I realized that it was much more than just those verses quoted by Peter and that he, in choosing those verses, saw the context as well, that led him to conclude that those verses were being fulfilled that day.  

Here are the verses Peter quoted - Joel 2:28-32 NIV:

[28] “And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. [29] Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. [30] I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke. [31] The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. [32] And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the Lord has said, even among the survivors whom the Lord calls."

Here is how it was recorded in Acts 2:17-21 NIV

[17] “ 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. [18] Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. [19] I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke. [20] The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. [21] And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'

A quick review of the differences show that Peter, under the influence of the Holy Spirit, added the "and they will prophesy:" and changed slightly the word that described the day of the Lord from dreadful to glorious!  I checked and part of that change is the NIV translation.  Regardless, the point is that Peter, after experiencing the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, concluded this was what Joel was talking about.  

It is interesting that Joel, in the preceding verses was prophesying that there would be a great army that would overrun Zion, and there would be great trouble (Joel 2:1- 11).  That was followed by a call to repent, to turning back to God (Joel 2:12-17), and God in response pours out blessing and abundance, and repays them for the years the Locust have eaten (Joel 2:18-27).  It is at that point that Joel prophesied about the outpouring of the Spirit of God on all people!  

In reflecting on these verses, I can understand why the Jews thought that when the Messiah came, that there would be a physical Kingdom, and they would be blessed like they were during the reign of David and Solomon.  The promises of abundance and blessing and homes and property, grain and wine in abundance and the complete defeat of the horde that had overrun the land.  Looking at the time of Jesus' coming, the Roman's had overrun most of the western world, and the tax burden was heavy.  In looking at these verses in Joel, I can definitely see an understanding that relates to a physical kingdom.  I believe that most of the Jews would have been completely satisfied if God's promise and fulfillment ended at Joel 2:27, but that is what I heard in my heart today, God wasn't satisfied, He had more that He wanted to pour our, and it had to do with Holy Spirit!  

As I was reflecting on that I realized that many of us, myself included, would be satisfied if we just experienced God's abundant provision in our lives.  If He poured out increased finances, health, security, peace and happiness in our lives we would be just peachy!  The issue is that God wants us to experience more, He wants us to operate in the realm of the Spirit!  He wants us to be empowered and aware, flowing in the Holy Spirit, seeing visions, having dreams, prophesying, and experiencing signs and wonders!  He has made a way in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon our lives, and this is the fullness of His plan for us!  Joel's prophecy didn't stop at verse 27, but went on and proclaimed this day of pouring out the Holy Spirit on all people, and that includes us!  

I just had a funny phrase pop into my mind, "don't get off the elevator too early!"  The picture in my mind that accompanied it was myself getting off one floor below the top floor.  The top floor had the penthouse (interesting word parallel there) and was the best view allowing one to see all sides and live in the best condominium by far!  Getting off a floor early enabled one to have a higher view and a regular condo, and that would be just grand, except the penthouse is where we belong!

This morning I am encouraged to press on, to look for that penthouse/pentecost experience of all that the Lord has for me, including the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit into my life!

Amen, come Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment