Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Who Am I Pleasing?

This morning I was reading through Paul's letter the Galatians, and came across a single verse that really made me think. Paul is obviously responding to some comments he heard concerning his ministry, how he handled himself, and the comments weren't good.  He was defending the Gospel of Christ, the Gospel he preached, and then he added this line - Galatians 1:10 NIV: 

[10] "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."

It is such an interesting statement, and although I have read this many times, today it grabbed my attention.   Paul is saying he used to live his life to please people, but that he was now only concerned about pleasing the Lord, and the two were mutually exclusive of one another.  

Isn't that interesting?  

Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?

That last statement is the one my flesh makes, because I do want to please people!  However, to place greater priority on pleasing people, versus pleasing the Lord, means I am elevating people's opinions over the Lord's, and essentially making that an idol.  I am choosing to worship people's opinions of me... dang that is UGLY.

We see it all around us these days, people who are "influencers" who are trying to get followers and likes on social media.  We are seeing people obsessing more and more over what others think, over "likes" and "shares" and payouts from ads.  We see the church becoming concerned with the same, trying to win people's hearts and attention by being flashy, or "with it".  The church wants to be relevant, but watering down the Gospel to do so is idolatry. 

Jesus was very clear about our relationship with the world (spirit of the age).  He said the following, as recorded in the Gospel written by Matthew 16:24-26 NIV:

[24] Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. [25] For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. [26] What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?"

Make no mistake, our souls are at stake.  Paul saw this in his own life, and embraced that radical pursuit of God.  

My flesh doesn't like this line of thinking at all!  I want comfort, and I want people to like me!  I don't want to take up my cross daily!  That is the truth according to my flesh.  However, I am choosing to live by the power of the Holy Spirit filling me and flowing through me.  I am choosing to tell my flesh NO, and turning towards the Lord!  I am not perfect, for sure, but I am dogged in my determination.   

I am encouraged this morning to continue to pursue the Lord, to make my life about Him, first and foremost.  I am encouraged to worship Him, and not people's opinions of me!  I am determined to live a life of love, laying down my life that I might love God, and love His sons and daughters to the best of my ability.  I am encouraged to monitor my heart, my affections and to make sure that they are set on Him, first and foremost!  

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment