Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Spreading The "News"


This morning as I was praying I was thinking about how important our relationship with the Lord is and was reminded of the calling of Peter and Andrew found in Matthew 4:18-19,23-25 NIV: 

[18] "As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. [19] “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 

[23] "Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. [24] News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed; and he healed them. [25] Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him."

I included the second section of verses that followed their calling because that described how Jesus "Fished".  He taught about the Kingdom, proclaiming the good news and then demonstrating the Kingdom realities, present on earth by healing people from every disease, sickness and malady, even those that were demon (spirit) caused.  He demonstrated authority and power and people from all over the region followed Him.

When Matthew writes that people followed Him, I think he means physically followed, as in traveled to find Jesus and then spent time listening, seeing and experiencing the Kingdom realities.  They didn't have twitter, facebook, or instagram in those days so following was relatively simple.  That being said, I am sure He was the topic of conversation, and news about him spread in the way it has spread for most of history, through word of mouth, and through relationships of trust. 

So, going back to my original thought, when Jesus calls us into relationship with Him, our invitation, whether we know it or not, includes the invitation to become one who fish for men and women, in the same way that He did.  I am sure that for the first bit Peter, Andrew, James and John watched Jesus and helped with crowd control.  However the call was specific, He was going to send them out to do the same, and in short order I am sure Jesus invited them to begin to minister in His name.  We find this happening in Matthew 10, where Jesus actually sends the Apostles out from Him, entrusting His ministry to them and they were all successful.  

While this should be highly encouraging, many of us wouldn't see ourselves at the level of the apostles, or even the additional seventy-two that Jesus sent out later (See Luke 10).  However, verse 24 above is key for those of us, who don't feel that personal call to full-time ministry.  Matthew says that "news" about Jesus spread all over, and I had previously noted that this was accomplished through word of mouth.  Let me propose that this spreading of "news" about Jesus was every bit as as important, as it multiplied the gathering effect.  One person can only talk to so many people, and directly impact and speak to so many people one-on-one.  There must be a gathering together of multiples for a greater audience, and the spreading of the "news" of Jesus did exactly that in Jesus' day, and does that today as well.  We are meant to be bearers and spreaders of the "Good News" and that requires experiences of our own, and a willingness to share! 

The Good News is the same today as it was back then, Jesus is alive and well, He continues to minister through His body, present in the Church, and His desire is that the good news of His Kingdom proclaimed AND that the Kingdom realities would be demonstrated.  His desire is that we would be spreading the "news" of Jesus and His Kingdom and His power and authority to those we know, and meet and interact with in our lives.  That is how the news about Jesus spread all over the region of Syria, in His day.  Personal testimony passed through trusted relationships is what brings validity to the news, and man do we need that today!  

As I look at our crazy world, the competition for news, and notice, fake news and twisted truth are all around.  I wonder if there is reason to believe that this overall reduction in the trustworthiness of the "news" is an attempt to smear that effectiveness of the TRUTH?

Anyway, back to my original thoughts this morning, my personal testimony, my experience in my relationship with Jesus has value and purpose.  He desires relationship with me, but also desires relationship with those I love and interact with daily.  In the same way that I wanted to meet my wife's family, so that I Could love the people she loved, the Lord wants to meet those we love in our lives.  It is through sharing our testimony, sharing His works, those in our lives and those that we have seen and experienced, that others will hear and others will gather.  

My encouragement this morning is to be willing to share my life, my testimony, my experience of Jesus and His Kingdom with those I love, those I know, and those I see regularly.  I don't need to be broadcasting to tons of people I have never met, just those that know me and trust me.  AND I need to continue in relationship with Jesus, for He always calls me forward deeper into relationship, and there are always new things to experience and understand about Him, ad His Kingdom!

Amen & Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment