Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Love In Spite of Waywardness



Yesterday I felt like I should read the book of Hosea.  This is such an interesting book, as it starts out with the Lord telling Hosea to marry a prostitute as a prophetic representation of the the Nation of Israel, and their constant turning to other gods, and nations, prostituting themselves with them.  Most of the book, Hosea speaks of the Lord's threats against Israel, interspersed with God's love for them.  The book ends with a promise of blessing for repentance (Chapter 14).

What I have been thinking about is how to read this book in light of the greater revelation of Christ Jesus, and the salvation available through faith in Him?  It is clear that this book demonstrates the futility of the Old Covenant. It wasn't that it (The Covenant of the Law) was wrong, but it was meant to show that we can only succeed in experiencing salvation if God does it for us.  Second, it describes God's unrelenting love, His constant willingness to take us back and love us again, in spite of our unfaithfulness, which He knew about from the very start.  Third, it affirms the relational context of God's desire for us.  He doesn't want emotionless worshippers, He wants lovers.  Finally, it reveals God's plans to bless us, to reward our repentance with blessing and love.  

As I mentioned previously, after all the threats and disappointment, this is how it ends - Hosea 14:1-9 NIV:

[1] "Return, Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall! 

[2] Take words with you and return to the Lord. 

Say to him: “Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. 

[3] Assyria cannot save us; we will not mount warhorses. 

We will never again say 'Our gods' to what our own hands have made, for in you the fatherless find compassion.” 

[4] “I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them. 

[5] I will be like the dew to Israel; he will blossom like a lily. Like a cedar of Lebanon he will send down his roots; 

[6] his young shoots will grow. His splendor will be like an olive tree, his fragrance like a cedar of Lebanon. 

[7] People will dwell again in his shade; they will flourish like the grain, they will blossom like the vine---Israel's fame will be like the wine of Lebanon. 

[8] Ephraim, what more have I to do with idols? I will answer him and care for him. I am like a flourishing juniper; your fruitfulness comes from me.” 

[9] Who is wise? Let them realize these things. Who is discerning? Let them understand. 

The ways of the Lord are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them."

This is not the letter of an angry God, but one who loves and blesses.  Our invitation is into relationship, and the Lord provided the way to that through Jesus.

Let us step into His invitation, for He will love us freely, despite our waywardness.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment