Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Familiarity Can Lead to Offense


This morning I was reading from the Gospel of Mark, and came across a familiar story, but one that made me think differently this morning.  Here are the verses - Mark 6:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. [2] When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. 

“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What's this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? [3] Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him. 

[4] Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” [5] He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. [6] He was amazed at their lack of faith. 

Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village."

Both Matthew (13) and Luke (4) also repeat this story of Jesus trying to minister in His home town of Nazareth, so its pretty safe to say this really happened.  Luke's version goes into quite a bit more detail, but the basic principle is the same, Jesus, was unable to work many miracles in His hometown, and while we are told its lack of faith, in verse 3 we are told they took offense at Him.  

The Greek word used here is eskadalizonto, from which we get the word scandal, and which is defined as: to make stumble, fall into a trap, a stumbling block, or to take offense.  In our English definition of scandal we find the following definition in Webster's Dictionary: 

1 a : discredit brought upon religion by unseemly conduct in a religious person

b : conduct that causes or encourages a lapse of faith or of religious obedience in another

2 : loss of or damage to reputation caused by actual or apparent violation of morality or propriety : disgrace

3 a : a circumstance or action that offends propriety or established moral conceptions or disgraces those associated with it

b : a person whose conduct offends propriety or morality <a scandal to the profession>

I think this is the more important factor, in Jesus' struggles to do any miracle in His home town.  I have several reflections on this theme in my blog, (See - https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2021/09/offenses-and-our-walk.html) and will summarize it here - I think because Jesus lived in their midst and didn't do any works (for He was hidden by command of the Father) that the people became offended by His doing miraculous works in other places!  Clearly there were well familiar with Him, and knew his family and nothing was apparently unique about Him during His whole life up to that point.  He was a carpenter, and that is all.  He wasn't some wise teacher, someone who could do miraculous things, he was well known for His normalcy!    

We have a saying that familiarity breeds contempt, and this seems to be part of the issue.  They didn't think highly of Him because they knew Him and had history with Him.  

Recently I have been reflecting on growing up in the church with a Christian mindset and understanding of the basics of our faith.  I have known about Jesus since I was little, and have been familiar with Him, the bible stories, etc.  Growing up Catholic, we believed in His miracle working power, and all the works, we just rarely saw His direct intervention in someone's life.  We would pray long prayers, for days, sometimes weeks on end, in the hope of seeing our prayers answered, and while we did see answered prayers at times, there was more often than not, no dynamic interaction where people were instantly healed, or delivered, etc.  

My thinking of late is that this common experience and familiarity, has somewhat caused a lack of faith in myself.  I believe it all, I just don't expect to see it happen much in my life, the life of my close friends, and church, even though I pray all the time!  

Going back to the definition, it says the people took offense, fell into a trap, or stumbled, and I think that this is related to a powerless experience of faith. We have lived so long without seeing God work in power that we have fallen into the trap of the enemy, believing that this is our reality, and this is all God is capable of doing!  It says Jesus could only lay hands on a few sick people and heal them, and I would say that is my most regular experience of God, healing a few, no real powerful miracles, healing blind or deaf, seeing limbs grow, deliverances, etc.  

That being said, I have seen miracles and even been a part of them in my past, just nothing recently and I think the reason is because of me, not because somehow Jesus has become limited in power.  I find myself repeating the prayer of the man whose son had epilepsy (Mark 9:24), "Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief!" 

I don't want to be offended at Jesus, or so familiar with my image of who He is, that I no longer expect Him to do miracles.  I don't want to become jealous when He does touch others! I want to experience who He really is, the son of God, establishing His kingdom in my midst, demonstrating His power, healing and doing miracles, not to show me its possible, but because that is who He is!!! 

Lord help me to overcome any familiarity I have, any unbelief I have that says You are less than exceptional!  You are exactly who You say You are, the Son of God!  You heal, You do miracles, when You pray for the sick, they are healed, when You speak to blind eyes, they see, when You speak to deaf ears they hear, and when You command the dead to rise, they do!  You are exactly who You say You are, help me to believe!

In all of this, I see the need to repent, for I find in my heart an agreement with the lies of the enemy, that at best I will only see some simple healings!  I want to press in to see miracles, signs and wonders, and I want anything in me that doesn't align with Your word to be cast from my mind and heart!  You are the Healer, the Miracle-Working, dead-raising only Son of God!  You have all authority and all power!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment