Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Stop AND Check


This morning I felt led to read from 1 Chronicles 12.  Normally when I read something I haven't read in a while, I will read before and after the section to get better context as to what the Lord is doing in that section.  Sometimes the verses the Lord quickens to me, are in the surrounding verses, as is the case today.  The chapter 1 Chronicles 12 has to do with all the men that joined David in Hebron, once Saul took his own life.  While interesting, the verses that caught my eye were from chapter 13, as there was a bit of a narrative that developed as I read these verses, and the previous chapters.  Here are the verses - 1 Chronicles 13:1-7 NIV:

[1] "David conferred with each of his officers, the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds. [2] He then said to the whole assembly of Israel, “If it seems good to you and if it is the will of the Lord our God, let us send word far and wide to the rest of our people throughout the territories of Israel, and also to the priests and Levites who are with them in their towns and pasturelands, to come and join us. [3] Let us bring the ark of our God back to us, for we did not inquire of it during the reign of Saul.” [4] The whole assembly agreed to do this, because it seemed right to all the people. 

[5] So David assembled all Israel, from the Shihor River in Egypt to Lebo Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim. [6] David and all Israel went to Baalah of Judah (Kiriath Jearim) to bring up from there the ark of God the Lord, who is enthroned between the cherubim---the ark that is called by the Name. 

[7] They moved the ark of God from Abinadab's house on a new cart, with Uzzah and Ahio guiding it."

In the preceding chapters, David had conquered Jerusalem and made it his city, and all of Israel had rallied to him to support him as their king.  Literally tens of thousands had joined him, and everything he attempted was successful, and the author noted, "And David became more and more powerful, because the Lord Almighty was with him" (1 Chronicles 11:9 NIV).  This statement in large part sets the stage for the verses quoted above.

Although the Lord almighty was with David and he had a heart to bring back the Ark of the Lord, something that had not been done by Saul, it was clear that he did not confer with the Lord!  Instead, in the verses quote above, rather than seeking the Lord he conferred with his officers and the peoples, asking if it seemed good to them to embark on the initiative to bring back the Ark.  

From the outside, and even internally, everything looked great!  He was leading a vast army that the Lord had drawn together, was successful in everything he did as the Lord almighty was truly with Him.  Because of His Love and honor for God, he wanted to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to Israel!  His heart was truly set on the things of God.  When questioned about bringing back the Ark, everyone agreed with him that this made great sense, and they followed his leadership!  David must have really thought that he was the right guy, at the right place, at the right time, and because of his successes, that God was clearly with him, which He was!   What a perfect and fulfilling time that must have been!

Into this awesome season something changed, it appears that David started thinking that God was with him, rather than the fact that He was following God's lead. It seems that he saw the Lord's blessing as a vote of confidence and backing from the Lord, as if the Lord's favor gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, and God would bless it.  I have unfortunately seen this type of thinking get many Church leaders into trouble, and if they stay in that mindset long enough, falling into sin that destroys their ministries! 

The story continues on following these verses where a man loses his life and in front of all of Israel (verse 5 above), David's mistake is made evident.  David, apparently realizes his folly and spends the next few months inquiring of the Lord and scriptures to make things right.  The Lord is merciful, but Uzzah did lose his life, and David was humiliated in front of all of Israel. 

This was a painful lesson and David appeared to struggle with this type of thinking throughout his life, and in that way I certainly resemble him. I am constantly just plugging along, enjoying the Lord's blessing and favor, and just figuring that the Lord loves me and will bless me.  I am surprised when something doesn't go well, and when I bring it to prayer the Lord will say something like, "Well that didn't go well, would you like to know what you should have done?"  I often forget in my daily walk, to bring things to the Lord, to seek His will and purpose and plan!  I have a free will, as do  we all, and I often exercise that freedom poorly.  sometimes the things I am doing seem right and wise, and even God oriented, but if I am not inquiring of the Lord, I am setting myself up for trouble.  

God, in His mercy, gave David another chance and this time he got it right, and the Ark of the Covenant was brought to Jerusalem! David lost 3+ months of enjoying God's presence because of the mistake he made as the leader of Israel.  David learned from his mistake and in 1 Chron 14, we see David going to  war with the Philistines and each time inquiring of the Lord, and winning great victories.

My encouragement today is to make sure that I am actually asking the Lord His opinion on my thoughts and plans.  He does have a plan and is willing to share it with me, I just need to ask!  I am encouraged that God, in His great mercy and compassion knows my ways and is always there to provide guidance and correction, and encouragement to move forward in Him!  I am encouraged to stop and check with the Lord, even when it seems like a good idea, when others agree, and when my desire is to honor God!  He always has a perspective and often times a much better plan, and I just need to learn to seek Him and trust Him. I need to remember that I am serving Him, not the other way around!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment