Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 24, 2024

Authority Given to Mankind


This morning I felt led back to Matthew, chapter 9, which I just spent a few days reflecting upon earlier in the week.  Apparently the Lord isn't finished opening my eyes to these verses.  I do love these deeper mining times, for I am always amazed at the additional streams and themes I discover as I dig a little deeper. Anyway, here are the verses - Matthew 9:1-8 NIV:

[1] "Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. [2] Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

[3] At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”

[4] Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? [5] Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? [6] But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” [7] Then the man got up and went home. [8] When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to man."

I always enjoy reflections on the miraculous, for my faith is bolstered and I am encouraged to believe for bigger things.  This morning, my focus landed on the last bit of verse 8, "... they praised God, who had given such authority to man."  The way that last bit reads, it seems that this authority has been given to man, as in mankind, and not just a single individual.  I need to do a bit of a deeper dive on the original language.  The word here translated man, is the Greek word anthropos, and it does indeed mean mankind.  Here is the verse 8 translation from Young's Literal translation:  "and the multitudes having seen, wondered, and glorified God, who did give such power to men." ( Matthew 9:8 YLT)

This giving of authority to mankind is what I understood when I read this verse this morning and it definitely grabbed my attention.  I am part of this "mankind" that was given such power and authority.  The word used for authority or power in the two translations above is "eksousia (from 1537 /ek, "out from," which intensifies 1510 /eimí, "to bebeing as a right or privilege") – authority, conferred power; delegated empowerment ("authorization"), operating in a designated jurisdiction." 

I love that! We have been given power, or granted authority, or delegated empowerment when operating in a designated jurisdiction!  In this case Jesus was demonstrating authority to forgive sins, as well as authority over sickness or whatever physical condition caused the man's paralysis.  This should make our minds tilt a bit!  The people who witnessed this event were filled with awe!  They knew this was amazingly good news! 

What really grabs me this morning is the fact that we, as in mankind, have been given this authority and power.  This seems to me to be a restoration of that which Adam and Eve lost in the garden.  This is really significant!

My questions this morning are:

1) Do I believe this?  Answer... sort of
2) Do I live this?  Answer... maybe a little
3) If I did believe and did live this out, how would my life be affected if I went all in?

It is clear that this is not something one of us could just decide and do... for the authority comes from the Lord!  He is the one who delegates and empowers!  However, if this is His desire and will, then it is available.

I am reminded, as I reflect on this, of one time I was given authority to lead our highschool band for a girls basketball game.  For some reason our Band director couldn't be there, and he asked me, as one of his trusted senior leaders, to lead the band.  I was filled with a certain amount of trepidation, and had not fully been briefed on the "rules" of playing for a game.  While the event went off and everyone enjoyed it, I, in my excitement broke some of the rules of fair play, rushing to start a song before the other school's band could start, even though it was their turn, etc.  A few days later our band director received a letter complaining about our behaviour, and I was questioned and explained my over-exuberance, and I am sure my immaturity was evident. 

My point in this is that delegation of authority without proper training can be a dangerous thing.  I didn't hurt anyone, other than some people feelings, and certainly didn't properly represent our school or band director.  It is important that we embrace the training the Lord provides us, embrace His teaching and correction, and take the opportunity to grow.  The Lord does desire us to step into the authority He has given us, and we must be mature and represent Him when we do step into His invitation.

Lord, help me to believe and live my life accordingly. Help me to represent You with the proper love, mercy, compassion, kindness, gentleness and patience.  I want to grow in Your ability to trust me!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment