Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Don't Stop


Yesterday I was reading through some of Mark's Gospel, starting in Chapter 7.  I find it always helpful to spend time in the word, and I need to do so more often, reading over swaths of the word, just to keep it fresh in my mind and heart.  

One of the stories that caught my eye was Jesus healing a blind man.  I love this one in particular, because it invites us into something we don't see anywhere else, the process of praying for healing.  Here are the verses - Mark 8:22-26 NIV:

[22] "They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. [23] He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man's eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?” 

[24] He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.” 

[25] Once more Jesus put his hands on the man's eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. [26] Jesus sent him home, saying, “Don't even go into the village.” 

A couple of thoughts to start.  First, I don't think we probably saw the breakout of a large ministry of spitting in eyes, following this healing. :-)  I don't know about everyone else, but I would have some qualms about spitting in someone else's eyes at the direction of the Holy Spirit.  I don't think it was probably a whole lot different back in Jesus day, spitting on someone is usual an act of derision or defiance.  It is at a minimum an odd way to bless.  

Jesus does talk about streams of living water coming out of us, but I don't think this is that! Ha!

Secondly, this is the only time I know of where Jesus had to pray twice over someone for their healing.  I am grateful for the method revealed and used in some of the best healing ministries, who are continuing Jesus' ministry of healing.  They know that our sensitivity to what the father is saying and doing is oftentimes off, but recognize the benefit of asking the one being healed what they are experiencing, so that they can focus on a particular area or effort, or continue pressing in for further healing. 

This also should help us to be encouraged when we see some impact of healing prayer, if they are experiencing some level of healing, we can be encouraged for Jesus demonstrates here the will of the Father to complete the healing.  I am reminded of a song by Journey, "Don't Stop Believin" and this is the encouragement today!  Any progress in an area of prayer should encourage us that the Father is engaged and at work, and we just need to keep pressing in for the more and completion!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment