Yesterday I was reflecting on the following verses - 1 John 2:3-6 NIV:
[3] We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. [4] Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. [5] But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: [6] Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.”
The last line certainly jumped out at me and gave me some good themes to think on, and ask myself some questions:
If someone looked at my life, would they see any similarity between my actions and words and Jesus’?
Do I really understand how Jesus lived?
What does living as Jesus did look like in our modern world?
In what ways am I not like Jesus?
How can I better hear and obey the words God has spoken and continues to speak to me?
As I reflected a few things came to mind. First, was the humility of Jesus. He was never about promoting himself, but He lived to bring Glory to the father!
Secondly, although He taught in the Synagogues, and spoke often about the Father, much of His ministry was done with the individuals. He always had time for the one in need.
Thirdly, the majority of His life was actually spent in hiddenness,working as a carpenter in a small town. His relationship with the Father was radical, but His life was largely unremarkable, so much so that his brothers were not sure of his calling (John 7:5).
Fourth, He was completely obedient to the Father in what He said and did - John 12:49 NIV: “For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.”
And -
John 5:19 NIV: “Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”
Lastly, He was revealing to us what the Father is like. John 14:9 NIV: “Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?”
And -
Hebrews 1:3 NIV: “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”
As I reflect on these points, I am so aware of my limited ability to truly represent Him to those around me! Lord, help me to live my life like You lived. Help me to understand Your invitation is to do exactly that, learn to live like You did, in relationship with You, the Father and Holy Spirit, representing you to all I meet.
Help me Lord, for I am far from living as You lived!
Amen!

No comments:
Post a Comment