Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 7, 2026

The Big 8




This morning I felt led to read from Peters, second letter.  As always, I try to listen with my heart, seeing which verses resonate there.  The verses for this morning are -  2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV:


[5] “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; [6] and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; [7] and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. [8] For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”


What a great list of things to pursue in our life, in context of relationship with Him:


Faith

Goodness

Knowledge

Self-control

Perseverance

Godliness

Mutual Affection

Love


I guess we could call these the big 8, active character qualities to emulate Christ!  I find it interesting that the last on the list is Love.  I don’t think this means its last to add, but it is that which covers everything else.  


Pul in his letter to the Colossians, says something similar, where he calls the pursuits virtues - Colossians 3:12-14 NIV:


[12] “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”


Taking a very small literary license, his list of 8 is:


Compassion

Kindness

Humility

Gentleness

Patience

Forebearance

Forgiveness

Love


I think either list is well worth our while to cultivate in our lives! Oh that I would be known to possess and practice any of these, and especially love.  In thinking about these two lists, it's like Peter and Paul are describing the same person, Christ Jesus, but from slightly different perspectives. 


Our call is to embrace, to emulate, and to become like Him!  Chief among all the virtues, and that which holds them all together is love!  


Oh Lord, help me to love well!   


I pray that this might be the characteristic people notice most about me!  That my words, my actions and even my demeanor might be loving!


Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment