Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Keep Pressing On!


This morning I am reading from Philippians 3:12-14 NIV:

[12] "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [13] Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, [14] I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I like the fact that Paul, despite his own personal accomplishments, continued to drive forward into the Lord and His purposes. It's thought that Paul wrote this letter in 62-63AD, which is 27-28 years after his conversion in 35AD, yet in his mind he still had not accomplished his purpose in Christ. There is no resting on his accomplishments, no limiting himself because of past failures or successes, instead he is forgetting what is behind him, in the past and only looking forward.

I like the verse from Lamentations that says "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lam 3:22-23-ESV). This is true in the case of a past of regrets, or of great accomplishments. The mercies extended to us by the Lord today are new, they are fresh, they carry the same strength, encouragement and power that they did yesterday or last year.

So whether we disappointed or excited about yesterday, or our past, our minds should be set on what is before us, and we should be looking to the Lord to provide that which we need to fulfill His purposes. We are encouraged by Paul, who leads by example, to embrace the day and see that which is in front of us, that which we can accomplish for the Lord. Regardless of our past, our age or our accomplishments, we will always have more to do out of love and passion for Him. So, let us keep pressing on toward the Lord, for He is the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment