Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Believing, Loving and Living

This morning I opened my Bible to John's Gospel, chapter fourteen. This is one of my favorite chapters in John and one that has been key in my faith journey.  As I was reading these familiar verses this morning, I had an interesting thought.  Here are the verses - John 14:6-14 NIV:

[6] "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. [7] If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

[8] Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

[9] Jesus answered: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

I was thinking this morning about the Gospel and the beliefs that we have as Christians.  Much of what we believe is being challenged these days, and we are being told that our beliefs are old-fashioned, hurtful, judgmental, and even hateful.  The fact that we believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father (to Heaven and Eternal Life) is sometimes seen (in today's PC world) as close-minded and negative towards all other religions.  So, as I was reading these verses today, my thought was that as a Christian I am primarily holding to the beliefs that Jesus taught, and the question is whether or not I believe Him.

When confronted with His statement in verse 6, our choice is to either believe that statement or not.  There is not much room for negotiation in His statement.  The fact that Jesus is making this to Jewish people, who believed that the law was sufficient and the way to Eternal life, is even more challenging.  The Law basically is equivalent to good works, to following the rules, to  being a good person and doing what God commanded, and here is Jesus saying that the only way to the Father was through Him, not through following the Law.  So, like the Apostles and disciples, we can either choose to believe this statement or not.  It is a key statement in our faith, and really foundational to everything else.

Jesus goes on and effectively states that He and the Father are one.  He says, "anyone who has seen me has seen the Father"; "I am  in the Father, and the Father is in me"; "it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work".  Again, these statements set Jesus apart from everyone else that has ever lived.  He is the only one who can say these things, and then back them up with miracles, signs and wonders, as He points to in verse 11.  Again, the question is whether or not I want to believe Jesus' statement about Himself.

Either Jesus is the Son of God, sent to make a way for us to enter relationship with the Father and experience Eternal Life or He isn't!  He is either the only way to the Father or not! He is either one with the Father or not!  As Christians these statements are the center of our belief, and if we don't believe them, no matter how out of favor with popular thought they seem, then we really are not believing Christians.  We would be classified as Christians in name only, for we are labeling ourselves Christians, but not believing the very core statements.  We have come to associate "Christian" with being a good person, and that is the label some want to hold onto, while jettisoning the beliefs because they are no longer popular and they are being told these beliefs are unloving.

It is not unloving to hold onto our beliefs, for they are the very core of our faith.   Believing is focused internally while loving is focused externally.  It is unloving to treat people poorly, to criticize them and put them down for holding different beliefs.  It is unloving to beat people with the stick of theology, trying to force them to see the error of their beliefs.  This was not the model that Jesus demonstrated to us with His life.  He demonstrated sacrificial love, mercy and compassion, forgiveness and relationship.  He demonstrated the truth of His words through miracles, signs and wonders rather than rhetoric and arguments.  He cared for everyone He met, whether or not they believed in Him.  He knew that the proof of His words was in His actions, and He was perfectly aligned in both.

I am choosing to believe the words of Jesus, not because I want to be superior to everyone else, not because I want to judge them and condemn them for their unbelief, and not because someone else told me I should believe.  Rather, I am choosing to believe His words because I have experienced His love, mercy, compassion and forgiveness.  I have seen miracles and awesome things done through the power of the Holy Spirit.  I have witnessed and experienced His relational invitation. I am choosing to believe His words, because I know His words are true.

Thus, this morning I am encouraged to continue to believe what Jesus said about Himself.  I am also encouraged to follow His example in extending love to all I meet, whether a believer or not.  I am encouraged to pattern my life after Jesus' example and treat people with care, love, mercy, compassion, forgiveness and the invitation to relationship.  I am encouraged to hold onto my beliefs and to pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to provide the evidence of proof in my  life and through my life.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment