Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Fire on the Earth

This morning I am thinking about some challenging verses from the Gospel of Luke 12:49-53 NIV:

[49] “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! [50] But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! [51] Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. [52] From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. [53] They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

These are some of the verses that we would prefer were not in the Bible, for they challenge our desire for comfort and peace.  I certainly don't like thinking about division in my family over matters of faith, and certainly don't like thinking about  being disliked for my beliefs, yet we appear to be entering a time where this is already reality.

When Jesus spoke these words, He knew the impact His life and words would have on the Jewish people, and exactly what He said occurred.  The early church underwent many persecutions, and families were divided by this new "Way" and people were forced to choose to deny Christ or be sentenced to death.  There are many stories of early church martyrs who refused to recant their faith, in spite of the pleading of their family members.  While we don't presently see this type of persecution in America, it is alive and well in many countries around the world. Yet, even though we don't see life-threatening persecution, we certainly see the culture of our country becoming more anti-Christian.  We are being labeled as bigots, racists, judgmental and ignorant for holding beliefs that are contrary to popular opinion.

The question that I find myself confronted with is how should I, as a follower of Christ, respond to the the de-Christianization of our culture. One popular approach is to water-down the message of the Gospel to take away everything that offends those who look for offense.  The problem with this approach is that those who look for offense will not stop being offended, for the very basic truths of the Gospel offend them.  Another approach is to become more judgmental in my response to those who lack any understanding of the truth.  I can take the approach that everyone who doesn't believe like I believe is going to hell.

Neither of these approaches seem to be congruent with the Gospel that Jesus preached and lived.  His example was consistent and involved both His words and His deeds.  His command was to love one another, not judge one another.  His example was sacrificial love.  His sacrifice was His flesh and blood.  He brought fire to the earth, but it was the fire of the Holy Spirit, enkindled in the lives of His followers.  He released upon the world His Kingdom, demonstrated through signs, wonders and miracles.  The fire was one of passion for Him and for the church, His Body.  The fire of the Holy Spirit brought about conviction to the unbeliever and they were cut to the heart, and brought to a place of repentance (see Acts 2:37-41).

Jesus came to bring this fire to the earth, and we must not let it go out by dousing it with the water of political correctness and unbelief.  We must continue to hold to the truth that He revealed, and follow His example of sacrificial love.  We must welcome sinners and unbelievers for we were all once such people, and it is only the grace of the Gospel that we have accepted that sets us apart.  We are not better than others because of our belief, we are made righteous only by Jesus' sacrifice.  We must continue to share the Gospel of the Kingdom. We must love one another and be empowered by the fire of the Holy Spirit, and allow Him to work through us to bring conviction and repentance, not through our judgmental words, but though lives lived in love.

When the martyrs were put to death for their beliefs, it was not their proclamation of impending judgment on their tormentors that impressed people and won converts, but rather it was their peaceful welcoming of the reward of eternal life.  It was their love for one another, their witness of God's love and forgiveness that caused others to see the truth.  In Acts 7:60 Stephen, the first martyr, asked that God would forgive those who stoned him, even as He was about to die.  His cry wasn't for judgment but for forgiveness and mercy.

This morning I am encouraged to not be afraid of persecution or division, as it relates to following Jesus.  I am encouraged to live my life following the example of Jesus, loving sacrificially, extending mercy and forgiveness.  I am encouraged because Jesus kindled a fire upon the earth, and it is still burning today in my heart.  I am encouraged because Jesus in no longer constrained by His earthly body, but is now seated in Heaven (Col 3:1) interceding for me (Heb 7:25), and living within me (John 14:23).  I am encouraged because the Holy Spirit will guide me in what I should say (Mark 13:11), and will teach me all things (John 14:26).

Lord, I pray that the Fire of Your Love will burn brightly within me, and that Your Fire will continue to burn in Your Church and upon the earth!





No comments:

Post a Comment