Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, June 6, 2016

A Window to the Father


This morning I am meditating on the following verses form the Gospel of Luke 10:17-24 NIV:

[17] "The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

[18] He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. [19] I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. [20] However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

[21] At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

[22] “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

[23] Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. [24] For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”

There is quite a bit to think on in these seven verses from Luke.  First the seventy-two return after being sent to  the surrounding towns and villages and they are excited by the fact that the authority they were given by Jesus was real, and they saw evidence of that in their experiences.  Jesus, is overjoyed as well, but He cautions them to be focused on their relationship "your names are written in heaven" than on the power and authority they had experienced.  This is such a good point, because we often get focused on the wrong things.  While power and authority are supposed to be a normal part of our Christian life, the things that God is most concerned about is our relationship with Him.  It is that through which everything else flows.

Secondly, Jesus again expounds on the fact that He really is the only way to the Father.  This time talking about the only way we will know the Father is if Jesus reveals Him to us.  The revelation of the Father really is one of Jesus' primary purposes in coming to earth. All of the previous revelation of the Father found in the Old Testament is, at best, just a small window of understanding.  Jesus reveals the Father perfectly (Heb 1:3), and provides us a true perspective of what the Father would say and do in most any situation, for Jesus only did and said what the Father showed Him and told Him (John 5:19-20 & John 8:28).    I am so grateful for this revelation, for we have in Jesus a window into God the Father, an ability to see and hear Him in action.  We see how He responds to sinners, to the lost, to the sick, weary and rejected.  He is full of love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness and life.  He desires our salvation not our condemnation!

Lastly, Jesus draws the minds of His listeners back to the Old Testament, to the words of the prophets and kings, to the foundations of their faith, and tells them that they are indeed experiencing that which they were all waiting for - the coming of the Messiah.

So today, I am encouraged to continue to reflect on what Jesus said and did, recognizing that He is representing the Father in everything. I am encouraged to look fully into that window that Jesus provides.  I am encouraged to rejoice in the relationship I have with Him, for many looked to His coming and longed to interact with the Messiah, and I can do so daily.  Finally I am encouraged to rejoice in Him, not in the power and authority He provides, but in my own salvation.  I am encouraged to be grateful for all that He has given, but mostly for the opportunity to relate with Him and experience His love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment