Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Knowing the Holy Spirit

Recently I have been reading a spiritual classic called "The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit" by R.A. Torrey.  It is s very good book and worth reading and studying.  I cam across a couple of sentences that challenged me - "Do you know the communion of the Holy Ghost? The fellowship of the Holy Ghost? The partnership of the Holy Ghost? The comradeship of the Holy Ghost? The intimate personal friendship of the Holy Ghost? Herein lies the whole secret of a real Christian life, a life of liberty and joy and power and fullness. To have as one's ever-present Friend, and to be conscious that one has as his ever-present Friend, the Holy Spirit and to surrender one's life in all its departments entirely to His control, this is true Christian living. The doctrine of the Personality of the Holy Spirit is as distinctive of the religion that Jesus taught as the doctrines of the Deity and the atonement of Jesus Christ Himself. But it is not enough to believe the doctrine—one must know the Holy Spirit Himself."

I found myself realizing that I don't really the know the Holy Spirit as I should.  I certainly believe that He is distinct from the Father and the Son, and as the third member of the Trinity, He must be an equal in every way with the Father and the Son, including person hood. However, as R.A. points out, its not enough to believe the doctrine, it is relationship that we are called to , and if the Holy Spirit is  a person, then it is possible to have a relationship with him.

Holy Spirit, if You want to be known, then You will help me to know You, and I pray for Your help.  Come Holy Spirit, help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment