Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Our Commandment is to Love!

This morning the topic of my meditation is our call and command to love one another.  The verses I am considering come from the Gospel of John 13:31-35 NIV:

[31] "When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. [32] If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

[33] “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

[34] “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

The context of these verses is Jesus speaking to His Apostles after the last supper, and after Judas left to betray Him.  He had demonstrated servant leadership by washing the feet of His disciples and was now speaking to them at length for the last time, before His death, and He his mindful of that, as evidenced by His comments in verse 33. I like to think of these verses as His last monologue, where He says the most important things, He wants them to remember for sure.  In that light, let us look at verses 34 and 35.

Jesus, gives us a new command!  The impact of this must not be lost - this is like the 10 Commandments in the level of authority.  This is not a suggestion, not an encouragement, but a commandment.  The Greek word is very clear, this should be considered an order.

Jesus goes on to qualify exactly what He means by Love (agape) in this instance, He calls them to love as He has loved them.  His example is our guide, our call and is well recorded.  He says this immediately after washing their feet, and I believe this is no coincidence. Loving one another by serving one another is the command.  Loving one another by seeing the significance of each other, calling each other forward, encouraging one another, speaking truth to one another.

His example is well documented, should we want to review it, and our call and command is to love like He loved.

Jesus goes on to say that this love for one another will be one of the most significant signs to all others that we are actually following Him. Imagine is this was what the Church was known for, our ability to love each other!  As the Church this is supposed to be both our organizational and personal objective "loving one another", as well as the best description of us.  Love is supposed to be the foundation of all that we do.

I am reminded of Paul's encouragement to the Colossians 3:12-14 NIV:

[12] "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

In this case, Love is the garment that covers over everything we do, and the other character traits are all encompassed in Love.  Love is supposed to be our foundation, our covering and our motivation in all things.

So as I read and write these things, my personal question is whether I am following His command?  Is love my primary motivation?  Is my initial reaction loving?  Am I recognized for my love?  Can someone else tell that I am a follower of Christ because of the way I live and love?

Oh Lord, help me to embody this commandment!  I want to love like You loved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment