Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, January 27, 2017

"Don't Be Afraid; Just Beleive!"

This morning I have been reflecting on the story found in Mark's Gospel about Jairus, whose daughter died while Jesus was on the way to see her.  This is such an amazing story for many reasons.  Here is the story - Mark 5:22-43 NIV:

[22] "Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. [23] He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.” [24] So Jesus went with him.

A large crowd followed and pressed around him. [25] And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. [26] She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. [27] When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, [28] because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” [29] Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

[30] At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”

[31] “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, 'Who touched me?' ”

[32] But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. [33] Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. [34] He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

[35] While Jesus was still speaking, some people came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher anymore?”

[36] Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don't be afraid; just believe.”

[37] He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James. [38] When they came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. [39] He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” [40] But they laughed at him.

After he put them all out, he took the child's father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. [41] He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”). [42] Immediately the girl stood up and began to walk around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished. [43] He gave strict orders not to let anyone know about this, and told them to give her something to eat."

Most of my reflection this morning has been on verse 36, and Jesus' statement to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe"!  What an incredible statement in the face of every fact that Jairus knew from experience.  He had just heard that His daughter, who was very sick when He left, had died.  Since everyone was traveling via walking or running, the news of his daughters death actually could have come some time after she actually died.  We see that by the time of Jesus arrival at Jairus' house mourners have already gathered, and were in full swing. Thus, some amount of time had already transpired since she passed away, and in our worldly wisdom, based on our experiences in life, Jesus appeared to be too late.

On the way to his home, after Jesus' statement, I can almost imagine that with every step Jairus was repeating Jesus words to himself! I know when times have been difficult, it usually feels like I am holding on to  my sanity and hope by a tiny thread of faith, and these words from Jesus were likely that life-line for Jairus.  No other mention of Jairus' faith is made by Mark, and while some might try to associate his faith with the miracle that was about to happen, I tend to think that Jesus wasn't really worried about whether Jairus had faith or not, His words to him were meant to sow hope and help him get through what must have been the most difficult time of his life.  We see from the record in the Gospel's that Jesus' concern was for each person He encountered, and He wasn't going to leave Jairus to try and deal with His daughter's death by himself, but rather braced him up with words of hope and encouragement, like only He could do.

Equally important, we see Jesus stopping to care for the woman who touched His cloak.  Again, He wasn't willing to put the needs of one person (Jairus) in front of the needs of someone else (woman).  Jesus had a good idea of the what the Father was going to do, and regardless of how questionable the timing, He was going to properly represent the Father in each an every circumstance, situation and life He encountered.  Oh,  to have that mindset and awareness in life and ministry. I know I get to be so focused on time, that I often don't consider the needs, feelings and lives of those I encounter, but rather feel like I need to stick to the schedule I have in my head.  I wonder how many opportunities I have missed to see God do glorious things, because I was focused on the clock, or myself?  Ugh!

Back to the story, despite the fact that the little girl had died, that enough time had elapsed for people to gather and begin the elaborate mourning rituals that were common in those days, Jesus was unconcerned!  I think this is a very important point of faith, we must believe that there is no barrier that Jesus cannot cross over to bring salvation, not even time!  Here we see Him speak to the girl, who is already dead, and has been dead for some time.  His words to her pass through the barrier of death and her spirit responds and returns to her body (here I am using imagery that is common to many people who describe near death, or dying and coming back to life).  Jesus is able to do this through the power of the Holy Spirit, the same power and helper that is available to us today, as His followers.

Looking at this chapter in Mark, it begins with Jesus healing the Gerasene Demoniac, then healing the woman who had been sick for twelve years despite the best medical treatments, and finally restoring to life the girl who was dead.  In other words mental illness and spiritual possession, medical pronouncements of untreatability, and even death were no match for the power of God, flowing through Jesus.  No situation was too late, no circumstance was too severe for Jesus!  When confronted with any situation like we see here, in our life or the lives of loved ones, I believe Jesus' words would be the same, "Don't be afraid; just believe!"

Thus, this morning I am encouraged by Jesus words, "Don't be afraid; just believe!"  I find that I tend to do stupid things when I am afraid, and it would be much better for me to operate out of peace and faith instead.  So, today, rather than responding in fear to circumstances out of my control, I am going to pray for His peace, and believe that He knows my situation and circumstances and has time enough and power enough to bring about His perfect will!  I know He is good, so I will trust in His goodness in all situations and circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment