Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

How is the World to Know?

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses from Luke's Gospel.  Oh, that the Church would be able to answer the same way that Jesus answer's the question He is asked.  Here are the verses - Luke 7:20-23 NIV:

[20] "When the men came to Jesus, they said, “John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?' ”

[21] "At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. [22] So he replied to the messengers, “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. [23] Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

Wouldn't it be great if we could answer the questions, "How do I know God is real?" or "How do I know if your church is for me?" or "What is your church service like?" or "How can I tell if you are preaching the truth?"  with the same response that Jesus gave in verse 22?!! It is my belief that this is exactly what the Lord wants for us, for we are called to continue His ministry to all the nations (Matt 28:18-20), and Jesus was describing His ministry.

I think social justice is critical, and programs are helpful, and teaching is important, but schools and all sorts of organizations that do good are all capable of doing those things with just human strength and determination.  I believe the world is looking for that which truly separates, that which is the truth.  God's interaction, His experiential in-breaking into our lives is something that human strength and determination cannot replicate, and that is what Jesus' ministry demonstrated.

Just before these verses in Luke's Gospel, Jesus raised the dead son of a widow in the town of Nain (Luke 7:11-17).  He stopped the funeral procession, went up the bier and told the young man to get up, and he did.  The response of the people was immediate and consistent  as described in Luke 7:16 NIV: "They were all filled with awe and praised God. “A great prophet has appeared among us,” they said. “God has come to help his people.”

My prayer is that this would be the response to our churches!  That the people would recognize that God, through us, is helping His people!  That all those around us, both believers and not-yet-believers would come to know that God is alive and well, and working among us!  That people would invite others to our churches saying this is what they have seen and heard, "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor."

Yes, Lord!  Help us! Call us back to representing You in the fullness of all Your ministry! We want the world to know that You love them and are helping them!  Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment