Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 6, 2017

Rightly Recognizing God's Plan and Movement

This morning I am reflecting on some interesting passages from Luke's Gospel.  Setting the stage, Jesus is approaching Jerusalem, shortly before passover, at the end of His earthly Ministry.  Against this backdrop, Luke describes Jesus' entrance and the people's reactions.

Luke 19:11,28-44 NIV:

[11] "While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once."

[28] "After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. [29] As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, [30] “Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. [31] If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' say, 'The Lord needs it.' ”

[32] Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. [33] As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, “Why are you untying the colt?”

[34] They replied, “The Lord needs it.”

[35] They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. [36] As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.

[37] When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

[38] “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

[39] Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”

[40] “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

[41] As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it [42] and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace---but now it is hidden from your eyes. [43] The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. [44] They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you.”

Luke captures the feeling of the crowds in verses 11, stating that they thought the kingdom of God was going to appear very soon.  The question we should ask ourselves is why they thought that?

Jesus' primary message was proclaiming the Kingdom of God, and then demonstrating the reality of that Kingdom, which was done through healings, miracles, signs and wonders, casting out demons, and healing lepers.  In verse 37 we see the people singing the praises of God, because of the miracles they had seen!  So, clearly the people had been affected by the ministry of Jesus, and understood that He was blessed by God.

Back to the question of why they thought the Kingdom of God was going to be established, I think that they were sensing the significance of the coming days, and that it was clear that Jesus was ready to take the next steps required.  I know in my life there have been several times where I was just aware, spiritually that the season was going to change, and it just plain felt different. I was expectant, encouraged, hopeful and engaged, and I think that describes well the people who were there when Jesus road the colt into Jerusalem.

The fact that they actually expected Jesus to become King, is in line with the thinking of even the apostles, who over and over, didn't understand what Jesus was telling them about His role, and His impending death.  They really thought He would establish Himself on the Throne, and they along side Him. (see Matt. 20:20-28).  This reflects what was apparently the common thought about the Messiah, that He would restore the true Kingship of God back to Israel and Judah, and that He would throw off the Roman rule, and set them free, probably something in line with what Israel experienced with the leadership of Moses, freeing them from Egypt, and then the reign King David and Solomon.

It is with this expectation that the people gather and sing and praise God, as Jesus enters Jerusalem, and against this more detailed backdrop that Jesus proclaims the prophecy of Jerusalem's destruction (verse 42-44 above).  My reflection this morning is about how strange that must have seemed to the people who were joining the parade!  I believe that they all were expecting the restoration of the King would bring wealth and glory to Jerusalem, and instead Jesus is proclaiming destruction and death.  Wow, talk about a "Debbie-downer"!  That must have really stopped them in their tracks, and caused many to wonder about Jesus.

Jesus exhibits great focus and alignment with God's plan and purpose.  He does not allow Himself to be swayed by the excitement and wrong expectations of the people, even His closest friends.  He stays on task, says and does what the Father directs Him to do, and keeps moving forward to His death.  He had clearly proclaimed his impending suffering and death, and the disciples just didn't have a paradigm of understanding, and it just didn't fit the narrative of what they were expecting, nor did it fit with what they had seen demonstrated by Jesus.  In every situation, regardless of nature, demonic activity, political testing, hunger or need, Jesus had been victorious, or provided.  They had never seen anyone deter Jesus, so His speaking of His suffering and death just made no sense.  Who was possibly greater than Jesus?  He was clearly from God and they knew all the stories of God's vanquishing His enemies and setting His people free!

Finally, Jesus says something that is very interesting.  He says, speaking over Jerusalem, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace!"  He continues prophesying the destruction of the city and says it is, "because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you.”

When I read those verses, it made me think about whether it was possible for Jerusalem to have properly recognized Jesus' coming, His roles as Messiah and thus spared themselves the destruction?  They were looking for an earthly King, and earthly kingdom to be established.  They wanted a strong ruler and thought they would achieve peace through force of arms, or the strength of God! They missed that which had been proclaimed by Jesus, choosing instead to hear and believe what they wanted to believe.  One wonders if they would have understood what Jesus was actually different if they would have been saved from the future?  I think that it is possible, for everything is possible for God.

Clearly Jesus still needed to suffer and die, as it was in God's plan for the restoration of the possibility of relationship between all men and God Himself.  However, if they (The Jews) had recognized that the true path of peace was found in relationship with God, and that their true eternal salvation was available to them, they may not have rebelled against the Roman rule in 66 AD, which resulted ultimately in the destruction of the temple!

Looking back at history and trying to analyze "What-ifs" is never a sure science, nor worth extensive effort, for the results in reality are the same.  However, we can learn from the mistakes of the past.  We can read and understand the mistakes that were made and commit ourselves to not making the same mistakes.  So, in that light, how can I endeavor to learn from these passages?

I think the message for me this morning is two-fold.  First, I need to listen to God clearly, not thinking I understand what He is saying, but pressing into and asking Him for clarity and understanding from Him.  We are living under a new dispensation, the in-dwelling of the God through the Holy Spirit.  God desires that we understand His ways, His heart and His will.  If we don't understand something, the invitation is to ask for clarity.  I don't want to miss something that God is doing, because I incorrectly thought I understood what He was saying or doing.  I can ask God to change my paradigm of understanding, and bring enlightenment and revelation.  I never want settle for partial understanding or be satisfied with what I know or have, but rather know there is more available in God.

Secondly, I want to rightly identify seasons and God's movement.  I want to be spiritually sensitive to God's visitation in my life!  I want to recognize the time of God's coming to me, in what ever form and timing that might take.  Because He is a loving Father, and because He lives within me, my expectation is that He will help me and show me!  I however, need to apply myself to pursuing God and His ways, and pursuing further understanding.  I want to pursue maturity in Him all my days, for there is always more available.

Lord help me to see and understand, and rightly recognize that which brings me peace, being in Your will!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment