Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Becoming "Like" Those We Are Called To

This morning, I am wanting to reflect on the following verses - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV:

[19] "Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. [20] To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. [21] To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. [22] To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. [23] I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

My first thought and point of research is to consider Paul's saying that he makes himself a slave to everyone.  For us the idea of being a slave has such a negative connotation.  The Greek word douloo does mean slave, in bondage, but it can also mean to "give myself wholly to one's needs and service, make myself a bondman to him".   A much better translation in my mind, would be to have Paul saying he has made himself a "bondman" to everyone.  He was volunteering, and making a choice to serve.  We see this mentality echoed in his next sentences, his choosing to be "like" a Jew,  like one under the law, like one not under the law.

He actually takes this choice even further for the weak, and becomes weak for their sake.  It takes great strength and courage to empty oneself and embrace weakness.  He then goes on to say that He has "become all things to all people" so that He might save some.  What a radically different approach this is to sharing Gospel, compared to our standard Sunday fare.  For many churches, the invitation is to come to us and become like us and you can experience salvation!  It seems that for many the idea of going to the lost and becoming "like" them as a precursor to sharing the Gospel is now a strange and unacceptable concept.  We like to judge those who are lost, not become like them!

I am not throwing out all the rest of Paul's teaching where he encouraged his audience to become like him, to follow the witness of Christ, to follow the Law of Christ, but rather am reflecting on Paul's conscious decision to reach the lost and get down (if I can say that without being demeaning) to their level!  The fact that this discussion is within a chapter that starts out with Paul defending himself as an apostle, makes me think that people in the church were judging Paul for his freedom and the choices he was making to advance the Gospel.  I don't think much has changed in the church these days, as I believe many would be quick to judge someone who was so conscious of their freedom, and  who lived  like those who had, what some would call, radical lifestyles (using a more common phrase for today) to become a witness to the lost in those lifestyles.

As an example, we might revel in those Christians who are tattooed and pierced, and think them a type of sensation, but become like them?  We might like to minister to the poor, but would we want to become like them, moving out of our comfortable homes, selling our nice cars and living the life of the less fortunate, of the struggling?  We might like to visit foreign countries on missions trips, but to actually move there and minister in their midst?  All of these statements are challenging to my own comfort, and I am aware of my own struggle to even think this way.

At the same time, I don't want to over swing and think that this calling to some group that we are unlike is the calling of everyone!  There are lost all around us, in our workplaces, in our neighborhoods, in our local stores and public venues.  We don't have to strive to  become like someone we are not, to win people to the Gospel, for people like us (who are lost) are all around us!  We are called, each to the ministry field, but for many of us that field is immediately surrounding us, even our very families.  Maybe our radical call is to just minister the Gospel to those who are already in our lives!

My main point of reflection this morning is simply this - we should not judge our brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ who are different, who are reaching to different groups, different life-styles, different ethnic or societal groups.  We are each responsible to follow the direction of the Lord, to extend the Gospel of Grace, and to love one another!  We must not think ourselves better than someone else who looks or acts differently, for they might very well be following the Lord's specific directions and call!  We also must be willing to go where the Lord leads us, understanding that He loves the lost and desires that all might come to Him in relationship and love.  As Paul says in his letter to 1 Timothy 2:3-4 NIV: "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, [4] who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment