Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Following the Move of the Holy Spirit

Recently I have been reflecting on several circumstances in my life and career that seem less than optimal, and I have been pushing into the Lord, knowing that in Him and through Him, I will gain perspective and understanding.  I was reflecting on Paul's excellent encouragement from his letter to the Philippians 3:12-14 NIV:

[12] "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [13] Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, [14] I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I know that God is capable, that He is working and He has plans that are being worked out in my life.  I am greatly encouraged to trust Him, and to embrace patience and intimacy with Him, while He works.

This morning, as I opened my Bible I felt like I should go back to the book of the Acts and spend some time reflecting on Peter's recounting of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on uncircumcised gentiles.  It is so interesting how the Holy Spirit intervened and caused a significant change in understanding among the believers, but more importantly changed History for all of us who are not Jews.

After Peter finished his retelling of the whole situation, the believers decide that God apparently knows what He is doing - and that is where I am picking up my reflection this morning.  Here are the verses - Acts 11:15-21 NIV:

[15] “As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. [16] Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' [17] So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God's way?”

[18] "When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.”

[19] "Now those who had been scattered by the persecution that broke out when Stephen was killed traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, spreading the word only among Jews. [20] Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus. [21] The Lord's hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord."

This is all such an interesting account of one of the most significant occurrences in the early church.  I really appreciate how Luke didn't mince words, but gave a clear recounting of the reaction and seeming inability to follow the lead and direction of the Holy Spirit.  I am also very grateful for the corrective  capabilities of the Holy Spirit. A couple of observations on these verses:

1) The Holy Spirit is fully capable of intervening in the life and practice of the church to bring correction, guidance and connect one to another.
2) There was a significant outpouring of the Holy Spirit, when Peter was speaking, that was evident to all and was a sign of the Holy Spirit's working!
3) This outpouring is tied closely with salvation and repentance, and seems to be missing these days, not due to lack of power on the Holy Spirit's part.
4) Even though the Jewish believers understood God's greater plan to include the Gentiles, after this retelling by Peter, they didn't apparently change their behaviour to match God's plan (see the end of verse 19) and God had to spur on some Cypriots and Cyreneans to actually start reaching out to the gentiles who were Greek.  Both of these locations were primarily Greek, so for them they were going to like-speaking peoples.
5) God provided all the encouragement they needed in the form of conversions (note it was those that went to the Greeks in Antioch that saw the great number of converts, not the Jews who went to Antioch - If we can draw that conclusion from verses 19-21).
6) We should be willing to follow the move of the Holy Spirit, to listen to what He is saying and watch what He is doing, and join in!
7) The Lord is looking for those who will listen and obey!
8) The Lord will find a way to accomplish His will, even if we miss it.  He may even bring in outsiders.

So this morning, I am encouraged that God is capable, and moving!  I am encouraged that even if I miss what He is doing, I am not the only individual available to do His work.  There is always an invitation, and encouragement to join in what God is doing!  He can divinely move and connect us to others, even those with no previous connection.  He will show His pleasure and hand through the pouring out of gifts and conversions!

Come Holy Spirit, move us and guide us and pour out Your power!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment