Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Favoritism, Mercy and Love

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from James' letter.  I find it quite interesting the significance that James places on what he calls the sin of favortism.  Here are the verses - James 2:1,8-10,12-13 NIV:

[1] "My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism."

[8] "If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. [9] But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. [10] For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

[12] "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, [13] because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

If I was to create a list of important things to cover in a letter to all Christians, I don't think favortism would make my list, and maybe that is why I am a bit surprised by James' lengthy rebuke and direction.  However, as I reflect on his words, I see what He is talking about.  I know I am constantly in judging mode as I walk around. I encounter people all over that I don't know, and I am quick to judge them and label them according to my judgment, all without ever knowing them, or interacting with them at all.

I am called, even commanded by Jesus to love as He loved (John 13:34).  One thing I always loved about Jesus was the way He met people and loved them for who they were!  It seems like He was able to look past the outward appearance and see the beauty of their soul, and love them.  I am reminded of the woman at the well (John 4), thinking about how Jesus knew her sins yet engaged in conversation with her and through His conversation, she was changed forever.  I would probably distance myself from someone of ill repute, and yet Jesus loved her and welcomed conversation with her.

As I reflect on James words,  I realize that too often I find myself judging and labeling those I see and deciding who I would be willing to talk to or show kindness towards.  I find I do it all the time.  Lord, please forgive me and help me to see with your eyes and heart.

As I was reflecting I  also realized that we can show favortism in other ways, and one of the ways we do so is when we judge ourselves and compare ourselves to others.  We can look at others and find ourselves lacking.  This should not be the case, for each of us was created uniquelly, and as such we will be different than others!  We can look around and always find someone with a better life, better car, better house, better body, better looks, better hair, better voice, better job, etc.  James quotes the Law as "love your neighbor as yourself", but if you don't love yourself, how are you to love your neighbor??

I wonder if sometimes our showing favoritism is because we envy the life of the wealthy and the powerful and want to be like them, so we like them, and show them favor over others.  James calls this a sin.

I am reminded of Paul's writing where he talks about being content in all circumstances and situations - Philippians 4:11-13 NIV: "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  It is all a matter of perspective and attitude.  We can choose to put on a mindset that determines to see God's provision, love and blessing in everything.

One of my favorite Catholic authors, St. Alphonsus De Liguori wrote something like the following, 'all things in life are meant to serve two purposes, our greater sanctification (becoming like Christ), and God's greater Glorification'.  If my goal is to become more and more like Christ, I can embrace those things that cause me to grow and become more like Him, rather than complain about them.

Finally, as we look at our lives, we must go back to the anchor that is God's love for us as His daughter or son.  He loves each of us more than we can ever know or comprehend.  He loves each of us, saved and unsaved, known and unknown, equally. When I look at any other person, I should be aware of the fact that God loves them as much as He loves me!  I heard someone say recently that 'I will never look into the eyes of someone that God doesn't love', and that should change the way I think about people and treat people.  Rather than judging, I should respond in brotherly love, extending mercy and compassion, being interested in their life, caring for them in their need.  I should love them as I am loved by Christ!  I should love all equally, as I am able!

This morning I am encouraged to love others as the Lord loves me!  I am encouraged to extend mercy and compassion to all those I meet, as my brothers and sisters.  I am encouraged to see my life experiences as opportunities to become more Christ-like!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment