Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, October 26, 2018

The Gift of Eternal Life

This morning I am reflecting on several verses from John's Gospel. I guess it is appropriate that I reflect on Eternal Life, for yesterday was the third anniversary of my Dad's passing into Heaven, the most full reality of Eternal Life.  Here are the verses - John 17:1-7,24-26 NIV:

[1] After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:
 “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. [2] For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. [3] Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. [4] I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. [5] And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. [6] “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. [7] Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you."

[24] “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. [25] “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. [26] I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

Starting with verse three, Jesus once again defines eternal life as knowing God, "The Only true God, and Jesus Christ" (Himself).  As I have written before the Greek word that is translated 'know' is all about relational connectedness, understanding the person, knowing how the person thinks and acts, knowing whats in their heart, and the word was even used to describe the intimacy of a husband and wife.  THIS is eternal life - knowing and being in relationship with God.  It is not religion, it is relationship.

Stepping back a verse, Jesus says that He has authority over all people, that He might give eternal life to all that He has been given by the Father.  Second thought concerning eternal life, it is a gift!  We don't earn it.  We don't get it as a reward for being good.  We receive this gift from Jesus, who gives it freely, for He came to save the world (John 3:16).  His desire is that all might be saved (1 Tim 2:4).  It is a gift, though, and not all people will accept it.

Third, I love how Jesus was aware that He had completed the work that the Father had given Him to do (verse 4).  What a great joy that must be to know that You have accomplished all, that you have run the race and completed it successfully.  Oh to hear "well done!"  Those were my last words to my father before his burial, as I am sure those were among the first words he heard when he entered Heaven.  One day it is my hope that I will here the same.

I don't believe my dad was aware that he had completed his works, for he had much more life planned and in motion, but his day of completion arrived with surprisingly little notice.  We had no forewarning, no knowledge of his impending death, yet I know he was ready.  As I look at his legacy, I am so thankful for all that he did, all those he touched.  He lived life to the fullest, loved to the fullest, and was a light to many!  He was experiencing eternal life here on earth, for his life revolved around his relationship with the Lord.  I believe his transition to the heavenly realm was almost seamless, closing his eyes here and opening them there.  I believe this is the Lord's desire for us all, to be with Him where He is, to see His true glory (see verse 24 above).

So my prayer today is for us all to experience "eternal life" here on earth, and in the life to come.  My prayer is that we all might "know" God the Father, Jesus Christ, His loving Son, and the Holy Spirit, our advocate and helper.  My prayer is that our lives might be lived to the fullest, loving well, and in relationship with Him.  My prayer is that we all might know this Good Father who loves us, who desires us all to be saved and who has made a place for us.  My prayer is that we might make Him known to all those who have yet to be introduced to Him as He is, as a God of love, mercy, compassion and life!  My prayer is that we all receive this great gift of eternal life!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment