Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Who Is Your King?

This morning I find myself reflecting on an unusual theme, at least for me. The context is the questioning and  judgment of Jesus by Pilate, and the real question is, 'Who is your King?'

Here are the surrounding verses - John 19:6-16 NIV:  (Jesus had just been flogged and beaten and was dressed in purple and had a crown of thorns thrust upon his head and was presented to the people)

[6] "As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, “Crucify! Crucify!”

But Pilate answered, “You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him.”

[7] The Jewish leaders insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.”

[8] When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid, [9] and he went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer. [10] “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?”

[11] Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”

[12] From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.”

[13] When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha). [14] It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon.

“Here is your king,” Pilate said to the Jews.

[15] But they shouted, “Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!”

“Shall I crucify your king?” Pilate asked.

“We have no king but Caesar,” the chief priests answered.

[16] Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified. So the soldiers took charge of Jesus."

This scene has always seemed central to me, and was always part of our Holy Week readings, growing up Catholic.  The focus was the passion and death of Jesus, but there was always this underlying theme of Pilate and his interactions with the Jewish leaders and the people.  It reads almost like a good courtroom drama, with occasional camera cuts to the crowd outside, protesting and chanting.  The different movies that have been made about Jesus, and His passion and death, have always done a good job of portraying these scenes. However, this morning I found myself focused on verses 14 and 15, specifically on the response of the chief priests and people.

Pilate presents Jesus and says, "Here is your king", and the people shout, "Take Him away, Crucify Him!"

It is interesting to note that barely a week previous, Jesus had arrived in Jerusalem sitting on the back of a donkey, with people shouting "blessed is the king of Israel!" How quickly they changed their minds and turned their backs on Him.  They had welcomed Him to Jerusalem, thinking that He would restore Israel, set them free from Roman rule, and when He didn't succeed (in their eyes), they Immediately did a complete flip-flop and now found themselves proclaiming Caesar as their king.

I found myself wondering if this final rejection of Jesus was in some way responsible for the coming revolt and destruction of the temple?  I found myself wondering if their decision that day was final, in their lives?  I found myself wondering how God looked (and looks)  upon those that reject Him? I found myself wondering if I sometimes have the same response when the Lord doesn't do the thing I want Him to do, do I turn my back on Him?

I think I can answer a few of those questions, starting with how God looks upon those that reject Him.  Jesus said while on the cross, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34).  Here is one of the best example of God's forgiveness and mercy, for everything Jesus spoke was at the Father's direction, even up to His last words.  Jesus is asking for forgiveness for those that crucified Him, those that condemned Him, those that chose Caesar over Him!  He is asking for their forgiveness, knowing full well that they didn't comprehend everything, nor fully grasp who He was.  Even His own disciples and apostles didn't fully comprehend until later what He had accomplished.

Second, we find 50 days later at Pentecost that 3000 of the people in Jerusalem become believers, and I have to believe that some of those people were present that day to join their voices to the chants for Jesus' crucifixion.  God clearly didn't hold their rejection of Him, against them, instead He extended mercy, grace and forgiveness.

Thirdly, the coming revolt in 66AD was fomenting for many years, and this rejection of Jesus, and selection of Caesar as their king, was not linked (at least by any historians) to the revolt.  The Jews had revolted previously many times  ( e.g. Maccabean revolt was in 167-160BC) and revolted afterwards as well, for the revolt of 66 was the first of three revolts against the Romans, the other two being in 115-117AD and 132-136AD.

Finally, I know in my life there have been many times where I found myself rejecting the Lord, His direction, His guidance and at times even questioning my relationship.  Regardless, He continues to extend mercy to me every day!  He always forgives, always loves me and welcomes me back!  He does not hold my sins against me, and does not reject me! He has received the worst treatment possible from those He Loves and never changes His response.  He came to save sinners and in spite of my sins, He extends salvation to me!

Thus, my question today, and every day is who is my King?  This question can be distilled into many other related questions. Will I follow Him?  Will I live my life for Him?  Will I claim Him as my King, even if I don't see the answers I seek?  Will I  choose to worship Him?   Will I choose to love Him?  Will I stand up for Him?   Good questions - and ones I should reflect upon and let my life reflect my answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment