Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

More Than Just a Name!

This morning I am reflecting once again on one of my favorite stories in John's Gospel, the story of the man born blind, who is healed by Jesus.  Here are teh verses - John 9:1-12,35-38 NIV:

[1] "As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. [2] His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

[3] “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. [4] As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. [5] While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

[6] After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man's eyes. [7] “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

[8] His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, “Isn't this the same man who used to sit and beg?”
[9] Some claimed that he was. Others said, “No, he only looks like him.”

But he himself insisted, “I am the man.”

[10] “How then were your eyes opened?” they asked.

[11] He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.”

[12] “Where is this man?” they asked him.

“I don't know,” he said.


[35] Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”

[36] “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.”

[37] Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.”

[38] Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. "


The one thought that struck me this morning was that the man knew it was Jesus who had healed him, even though we have no record of Jesus introducing himself, or of any engagement that would have let the man know His name.  I know that we don't get every word that was spoken, recorded in the Gospels, so it is not a big issue that the man knew Jesus' name. I just found myself thinking about the fact that Jesus wasn't satisfied that he knew His name, but instead, as we see in verses 35-38, that He wanted relationship with the man.

This is my constant theme, that which flows out of every Gospel story, Jesus as a representative of the Father, expressing their desire for relationship with us!  This is such a mystery, that God, the creator of the universe, wants relationship with me!  It is just impossible to fully comprehend.  Nonetheless, I am eternally grateful that this is the case!

As I have written many times before, if He wants relationship with us, then we must be able to actually have a real relationship with him, at a personal level.  We must be able to have regular interaction, regular conversation and exchange of ideas, thoughts and even feelings.  We must be able to have some sort of interactive engagement.  This relationship, at least for me, is founded in prayer, in my daily interactions with Him.  I am not nearly as conscious of His willingness to engage with me relationally throughout the day as I should be, yet most days I spend some time in communication.

I love the fact that He lives inside me, that I don't need to travel to some distant city, or even make my way to the local church to converse with Him.  I am so grateful that He is closer than a phone-call away.  He Loves me and is with me always, whether I am aware of it or not.  He is engaged at all times with me, and I am only slightly aware of this fact most of the time.

Lord, I pray that I might be more and more engaged in daily communication, all day long!  Help me to understand Your love for me, Your thoughts for me, Your desire for me!  Help me to believe and worship You, as I encounter You in my life!  I don't just want to know Your name only, I want to know You!

No comments:

Post a Comment