Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

My Focus For This Season

Over the last few days I have been meditating on the same set of verses and once again I opened my bible to the following verses from Paul's letter to the Colossians 3:12-17,23-24 NIV:

[12] "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

[15] "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. [16] Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. [17] And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

[23] "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, [24] since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

These verses, especially the last few,  just seem so applicable to me these days.  Recently I have been re-reading some of the letters from Brother Lawrence, and he talks about maintaining a focus on God throughout the day.  As I read these verses from Paul's letter, I am reminded of many of the statements Brother Lawrence made in his letters and conversations.  His book - "Practice, and the Presence of God" is an excellent read.  One quote that I really like is the following -

"That our sanctification did not depend upon changing our works, but in doing that for GOD’s sake, which we commonly do for our own. That it was lamentable to see how many people mistook the means for the end, addicting themselves to certain works, which they performed very imperfectly, by reason of their human or selfish regards."

"That the most excellent method he had found of going to GOD, was that of doing our common business without any view of pleasing men, and (as far as we are capable) purely for the love of GOD."

He said later that he simply committed himself to only doing those things and thinking on things that He knew were pleasing to God, and doing this because of His love for God.  He developed an ability to stay in the state of regular conversation and awareness of God's presence as he went throughout his day, doing those things that he was assigned at work.  In doing so, he experienced peace and an awareness of God's abundant blessings that he had not experienced before.

I guess for me, in the midst of this crazy busy season, it has been very helpful to just center myself and focus on doing all for the love of God, making an effort to only do those things that are pleasing to Him.  It doesn't require great endeavors so much as turning my heart towards Him.  As I do so, I am reminded of the abundant blessings, family and friends that He has blessed me with, and I find myself more grateful!

I am grateful for the encouragement this morning to simplify my life and focus.  Living in the love of God is not a bad place to be!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment