Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Receiving, Believing and Choosing

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from John's Gospel.  I love all of his Gospel, but specifically enjoy his beginning.  Here are some verses from the first chapter - John 1:1-5,10-14 NIV:

[1] "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] He was with God in the beginning. [3] Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. [4] In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. [5] The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

[10] "He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. [11] He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. [12] Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--- [13] children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. [14] The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

The specific phrase that caught my eye this morning is found in verse 12 - "to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."  I guess maybe I am a little sensitive to the use of the word right in this day and age of everyone having a right to everything, it caught me by surprise that John would describe our being children of God as a right!

Before we I spend much time in reflection, it is important to understand the meaning of the original Greek, as it often does not line up exactly to our definition of the English translation.  In this case the Greek translated right is 'exousia' and it is defined as follows:

1) power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases
      a) leave or permission
2) physical and mental power
      a) the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises
3) the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)

It goes on to define the governmental abilities in further definition, but the first three definitions are plenty to consider.  This Greek word is most often translated power or authority (98 times - King James Version - of the 102 times it is used).  When I read the first definition, what immediately comes to my mind is free-will! We are talking about becoming children of God, and John is basically saying it is our choice if we want!  We can choose to be God's child, or not.

John describes the process of becoming and child of God as receiving, believing and choosing. We can sometimes make the Gospel so complicated, but this is the essence right here.  First, we must receive Jesus, or maybe its easier to say we must acknowledge Him. Second, we must believe in Him and in His Name.  To do this we must encounter Him in some way.  Thirdly, we must choose to be in relationship with Him. God will not force us to choose.

Paul prophetically declares that one day all will encounter and acknowledge Jesus, whether they want to or not, in his letter to the Philippians 2:9-11 NIV:

[9] "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
[10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
[11] and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Thus, all will be given the opportunity to encounter and acknowledge Jesus, but not all will choose to be in relationship with Him!  This is our choice, our ability to to exert our free-will.  It is my belief that this can only be after we truly encounter Jesus as He revealed Himself.

John writes that many did not recognize Him, and that is clearly true, for He came as the Messiah to the Jewish people who were waiting for their Messiah.  One would think that they all would have recognized Him, but He came in a way they weren't expecting, growing up in a place they weren't expecting, and ministered in a way they weren't expecting.  I think I see a pattern there.  They were looking for a king, an almost demi-god, who would exert God's power over their enemies, who would restore Israel to its former glory, who would rule with worldly power and majesty.  Instead Jesus came fully human, in humble surroundings, ministered in out of the way places, and constantly chose to not pursue recognition, worldly power or authority.  He came to the poor and downtrodden, touching individual lives, rather then to the rich and powerful asking for their support.  He wasn't what they were expecting and so many missed His coming, not recognizing Him as their Messiah.

So the question for me today is whether I am representing Christ to those around me, as He revealed Himself?  Am I loving others as He loved me?  Am I taking time for the one, for the down-trodden for the lowly, for the lost?  Am I representing a compassionate, merciful, loving, humble, servant-leader?  Am I proclaiming the Kingdom, and ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit?  Am I acting as a true son of God in all I say and do?  I guess my goal in life should be to answer, of my own free-will, each of these, I am.  I want to represent Him to those around me, that they might encounter Jesus, see Him for who He revealed Himself to be, and express God's invitation to them to choose to be in relationship with Him, that they might also be a son or daughter of God!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment