Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 16, 2019

Faith and Favoritism

This morning I am continuing a reflection that I started last week, reflecting on some verses from James 2:1-5 NIV:

[1] "My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. [2] Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. [3] If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here's a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” [4] have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?"

[5] "Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?"

I was struck by verse 5, and the idea that God has chosen the poor to be rich in faith.  I was thinking about how this might be a bit challenging to many of the churches in America, who count themselves blessed to have wealthy congregants, that they might build beautiful buildings, and run extensive programs.  Many of these churches have outreaches to the poor, and do well with providing food and clothes, etc. which is laudable. 

However, as I read these verses today, I had a strong sense that we ought to be approaching the poor, as key members of the Body of Christ, for they have been gifted with Faith!  We need in the Body, more than anything, an increase of faith so that we might step into the purposes and plans that Jesus has for us all!  We need to raise the "water-level" of faith in the Body!

I am reminded of the many times Jesus encouraged the apostles and disciples to have more faith, to press in for more faith. Here are a few:

Matthew 17:20 NIV:  "He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

-and-

Matthew 21:21-22 NIV: "Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. [22] If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

I think it is safe to say Jesus wanted His followers to press in for more faith.  In several of the later writings of the Apostles, they too encouraged faith.  James had a whole section that spoke of the importance of faith in action (See James 2:14-26).  Paul wrote constantly about faith, as the key element to the Gospel of Grace.  The author of the letter to the Hebrews wrote a whole chapter on people of faith (See Heb. 11).  Both Peter and John also took up the topic of faith in their writings as well.  Suffice it to say faith is critical to the Body of Christ, and should be something we encourage and value.

Clearly faith is important, but equally so how we treat others.  I find it very interesting that in the last 4 days I have had two completely unsolicited conversations with good friends, both of which brought up the topic of favoritism in local churches.  In both cases, it was seen as something that called into question the heart of the pastors, who were running after and seemingly enamored with the wealthy and famous in their congregations, at the expense of those who were not wealthy or famous. 

Going back to verses following the ones I quoted above, James would have very clear guidance concerning this type of behavior, for he wrote, "But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers." ( James 2:9 NIV).  Now, we no longer live under the Covenant of the Law, but I think we can see his opinion concerning favoritism. 

As I reflect on this, I am reminded over and over of the intimate love that the Lord has for each one of us!  The Lord doesn't have favorites, or maybe we can say  we are all His favorites!  For He clearly shows favor and rains favor down upon us all, righteous and unrighteous alike (See Matt. 5:45).  He considers each of us, equally His sons and daughters!  There is no hierarchy of love and affection, or even honor in the Father's eyes.  We are all loved, treasured, valued, and cherished equally in God's eyes. 

As Jesus' representatives here on earth, as His Body, it is so important that we learn to reflect His heart!  We are called to love and honor, treasure and value evey other member of the Body of Christ.  It should not matter if they are yong or old, rich or poor, gifted or not, even unloveable!  Jesus was just as willing to have dinner at a Pharisee's house, as He was to have dinner with a tax-collector!  He embraced the sick and leprous, the young, the old, the poor, the demonized, the sinner.  He knew the value of each to His Father, for He was doing and saying all at His Father's direction (see John 14:9-10). 

I know that I need tons of work in this area, for I am so quick to judge, so fast to form an opinion.  I look at people and based on their clothing, the way they act, move or look, decide if I want to even engage them in conversation!  Oh Lord, forgive me! 

We are called, as the Body of Christ to be open to all, too extend the words of Life to all.  We must learn to walk in humility, learning to serve and honor all those we meet, regardless of their social standing!  We are called to be lights that shine bright in this dark generation (Matt 5:14-16).

Oh Lord, help us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment