Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Greatest Gift...


In meditating on the word today, I am reflecting on a few verses from the Letter to the Hebrews 1:1-3 NIV:

[1] "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, [2] but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. [3] The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

I was just thinking how we still are working to understand the mystery of Christ's birth, ministry, death, resurrection and ascension!  When I look at my grand-daughter, watching her grow and develop, it is just amazing to think that Jesus, the exact representation of the Father, the creator of the world, came to earth in the exact same way, being born, and growing and developing as any child.  What an amazing humbling expression of His desire for us! 

I can't wrap my head around the mystery of the son of God laying aside His divinity that He might perfectly represent us in fulfillment of the Law.  As prophesied 700 years before His birth, He was born of a virgin and was Emmanuel - God With Us.  ( Isaiah 7:14 NIV: "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.)  He wasn't just with us, He perfectly represented us to the Father, even as He represented the Father to us!

He did all of this, accomplished the Father's plan perfectly, and restored that which was lost, namely opportunity for relationship with the Father!  When we look at Jesus' prayers in John 17, we so often read them from our present perspective, knowing all that Jesus accomplished, but let us think on them with fresh eyes and mind this Christmas Eve.  Here are a few of the statements made by Jesus and others about His Father:

Matthew 11:27 NIV:  “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

John 1:18 NIV: "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

John 14:6-11 NIV: "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. [7] If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

[8] Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

[9] Jesus answered: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves."

Finally, as we look at His perfect humanity, we see God's purpose in Jesus becoming like us, explained- Hebrews 4:14-16 NIV:  "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. [15] For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are---yet he did not sin. [16] Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

-and-

Hebrews 7:24-26 NIV: "but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. [25] Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

[26] Such a high priest truly meets our need---one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens."


So, in the midst of this season where we celebrate Jesus' birth, let us remember that He is really expressing and representing the heart of the Father, who desires that all might be saved and in relationship with Him.  He is representing the Father in everything He does and says, and in turn, He is representing us to the Father.  He is, even now, seated on His heavenly throne, interceding for us, representing us to the Father.  He loves us, and has made a way for us!  Even though we can never fully understand or comprehend the full extent of all He accomplished, we can certainly celebrate that which we do understand!  He is the greatest gift ever given, and we can embrace Him, and embrace the Father and Holy Spirit because of  Him. 

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment