Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Consider Trials with Joy

This morning I am continuing a reflection I had last evening as I gathered with some men from our church to pray.  I felt led to read from James, the following:

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance."
James 1:2‭-‬3 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/jas.1.2-3.NASB

How different of an approach than my normal response to trials and difficulty.  I don't welcome them with joy, I complain, I feel sorry for myself.  I don't think of it as testing my faith, seeing how my faith stands up, whether it is strong, whether it is enduring... I just grumble and complain.

Oh Lord, forgive me for all the times I have complained, all the times I have agreed with the accuser, believing lies about Your goodness, Your mercy, Your compassion. 

"And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
James 1:4 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/jas.1.4.NASB

Lord, I am absolutely desirous of Your work accomplishing its goal, making me complete, making me perfect, lacking nothing, in You!  Give me strength to endure!

Reading a commentary on these verses was helpful.  Here is Matthew Henry's commentary on verse 2 above:

"One Christian grace to be exercised is joy: Count it all joy, James 1:2. We must not sink into a sad and disconsolate frame of mind, which would make us faint under our trials; but must endeavour to keep our spirits dilated and enlarged, the better to take in a true sense of our case, and with greater advantage to set ourselves to make the best of it. Philosophy may instruct men to be calm under their troubles; but Christianity teaches them to be joyful, because such exercises proceed from love and not fury in God. In them we are conformable to Christ our head, and they become marks of our adoption. By suffering in the ways of righteousness, we are serving the interests of our Lord's kingdom among men, and edifying the body of Christ; and our trials will brighten our graces now and our crown at last. Therefore there is reason to count it all joy when trials and difficulties become our lot in the way of our duty. And this is not purely a New Testament paradox, but even in Job's time it was said, Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth. There is the more reason for joy in afflictions if we consider the other graces that are promoted by them."

Lord, I know that I certainly suck at embracing trials joyfully.  I am not asking for more trials, but an attitude and understanding as I encounter them, that I should consider the trial with joy, knowing that my faith is being tested and proven.  Lord, help me to have a right heart attitude!  I want to approach life, as You approached life.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment