Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Faith and Love = Action

This morning I am reflecting on the following verses from James 2:14-18,24 NIV:

[14] "What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? [15] Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. [16] If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? [17] In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. [18] But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds."

[24] "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."


As I read through these verses I was reminded of a similar set of verses from 1 John 3:16-18 NIV:

[16] "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [17] If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? [18] Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."


And finally, I am reminded of Jesus' words from Matthew 25:34-40 NIV:

[34] “Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. [35] For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, [36] I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

[37] “Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? [38] When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? [39] When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

[40] “The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"


When I put these three sets of verses together, I am deeply impacted by the importance of our love, our active love, not just for those nearest me, but for all humankind, regardless of race, age, religion, political  or moral viewpoint, economic status, or country of origin.  We are called to love as Jesus did, to bless as we are blessed, to share what we have been given. 

When I see anyone, regardless of how I might judge them for being different than me, they are each loved by the Lord, and each created in His image, each with inestimable value to the Lord.  As such, my heart should be stirred by my affection for the Lord, to extend His affection and love to them, not just in words, but in deeds and action. 

My life should be an endless poem of active love, of showing people they are loved and cared for by me, and by our Lord.  I should be radiating His love for them, His valuation of them.  It is not enough to think, or say just words, but must result in real action.

However, the real question for me, is do I actually believe this all?  Do I even think this way when I am out and about?  Am I radiating God's love, or am I withdrawn into the safety of my personal space?  Do I show my love through actions to those closest to me, e.g. my family, my neighbors, people I encounter regularly?  Am I willing to share what I have with others, or am I a well-wisher? Am I willing to treat someone I have never met before with the same affection as one of my close friends?  Do I even go places where I might meet the hungry, the poor, the needy, the downtrodden?  I know what I should think and believe, but do I?  The truth is that I want to believe, think and act this way, but often I don't.   I find myself saying something similar to the man who answered Jesus' question, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24 NIV)

I need help Lord!!  It is a good thing You have promised me real help, Holy Spirit!  I desire deep down, abiding change in my heart affections, in the way I think, and the way I respond to people.  I desire to represent You more effectively, more accurately, and more lovingly.  Lord help me to love in real and active ways, help me to step into all that You have for me, all the purposes, plans and people's lives affected.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment