Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Gratitude for Struggles

This morning I felt led to read from the book of the Prophet Malachi 3:13-18 NIV:

[13] “You have spoken arrogantly against me,” says the Lord. “Yet you ask, 'What have we said against you?'

[14] “You have said, 'It is futile to serve God. What do we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty? [15] But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it.' ”

[16] Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name.

[17] “On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him. [18] And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not."


I was reminded today of how important it is to check my thoughts, and to make sure I am honoring the Lord in my thoughts and words.  The accuser is constantly trying to get us to agree with him, and his accusations against God, which is what verses 14-15 above represent to me.  There have been several times, as I followed the Lord, that I ended up in circumstances and situations that were not favorable, or down-right difficult.  Most of the time they were not my fault, and yet I felt like I was getting punished, while those who could care less about God were prospering.    During these types of times, I am so ready to join the accuser and blame God, or to say that serving God is worthless!

What I lack is correct perception, and appreciation and gratitude for all that I have received from the Lord!  I am looking at the little bit of disappointment, rather than at the mountain of blessings I have encountered.  My perception is so focused on the present struggle I am discounting the long list of God's previous provision, His track-record of faithfulness, and mercy, His compassion and forgiveness.  It is like I am willing to chuck all my history with God over some  present difficulty.  I can see why the Lord had Israel build monuments to times of His intervention and provision so that they would be regularly reminded of how good He is to them!  I really need to build my own wall of memories and God's intervention, so that when I am struggling in a present situation<  I can remind myself of God's previous blessings.  I definitely want to make sure if there is ever a list generated of those who loved and honored the Lord that my name is included.  I am not getting all religious here, just saying that I want my life to honor God because I am very aware of all that He has done for, and through me.

Finally, I am just encouraged to approach life with an attitude of gratitude, knowing that in spite of my present struggles, whatever they might be, that I am eternally blessed, and God is good!  I know that in each and every one of the struggles I have walked through, that I have encountered the Lord, and His faithfulness. I have not always encountered Him the way I thought I would, but He has always been faithful.  Oftentimes I mistake my expectations for His promises.  In other words, when He promises something, I think I know what exactly He means, and that becomes my expectation.  Oftentimes these two things (my expectation and God's word in fulfillment) are miles apart, and this can cause me to stumble or grumble.  Its not that God hasn't been faithful, its that my expectations were incorrect.  If I am able to maintain an attitude of gratitude, I can keep some of this negative thinking from finding a home in me.

So this morning I am grateful!  I am reminded of all the goodness the Lord has poured upon me, and I am quick to point out the blessings and recognize the struggles will lead to additional experiences of God's faithfulness!

Amen, thank You Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment