Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Quarreling With God?


A couple of mornings ago I was reading in Psalm 95 which is an interesting Psalm.  Half of it is praising God for His greatness, and then it shifts and warns the people not to harden their hearts like the Israelites did at Meribah.  Here are the first two verses, then the shift to the second theme - Psalm 95:1-2,8-9 NIV:

[1] "Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. [2] Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. 

[8] “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness, [9] where your ancestors tested me; they tried me, though they had seen what I did."

I remembered a bit of the story referred to here, but also thought it would be good to reread, as clearly something significant happened at Meribah.  I was also reminded that this episode in Israel's history was referenced in the Letter to the Hebrews, and I wanted to look at that before going back to Exodus 17, which is where the encounter is described.  Here is the bit titled in my NIV "Warning Against Unbelief" from Hebrews 3:7-13 NIV:

[7] "So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, [8] do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the wilderness, [9] where your ancestors tested and tried me, though for forty years they saw what I did. [10] That is why I was angry with that generation; I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.' [11] So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' ” 

[12] See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. [13] But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."

Clearly this was a serious issue in Israel's history, and it appears to have been one of the events that caused Israel to spend 40 years in the wilderness.  Whatever happened there is described as "the rebellion (verse 7, Hebrews), and the author of Hebrews describes this as the sin of unbelief.  With this perspective I turned to Exodus 17, expecting something pretty significant, but I couldn't remember the details exactly.  Here is the total account from Moses - Exodus 17:1-7 NIV:

[1] The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the Lord commanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. [2] So they quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water to drink.” 

Moses replied, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the Lord to the test?” 

[3] But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?” 

[4] Then Moses cried out to the Lord, “What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.” 

[5] The Lord answered Moses, “Go out in front of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. [6] I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink.” So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel. [7] And he called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the Lord saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?”

That is the whole story, and I must say I was a bit underwhelmed.  In fact, I found myself somewhat agreeing with the people in the first couple of verses, so I figured there must be a bit more to this story, so I did a bit more reading, trying to understand the context and the significance of this event, for it was referenced a couple different times.  It is important to note that this is before Mount Sinai, before the 10 commandments are given, and before the "Golden Calf" incident.  However it immediately follows the Lord providing Manna every morning, and quail every evening.  

Additionally, they were being led by God who used the pillar of cloud or fire to direct their path. They had not been in the wilderness very long, so the memory of the crossing of the Red Sea should have been fresh in their minds.  God led them specifically to Rephidim, which actually means place of beds, or rest. They were led to camp here and clearly God knew there was no water, and knew that He had promised to feed them morning and night.  The author of Hebrews calls it a time of testing, and the whole set-up was apparently, exactly that, a set-up, where the Lord could determine the state of the hearts of the people, and assess their belief.

Into this context, I started looking at the account.  From the text the conflict seems to happen in verse 2, where we are told they quarreled with Moses. They wanted water, which seems to be a very reasonable request, and they went to Moses, as God's clear representative asking for it.  The original Hebrew word, 'wayyare' here translated quarreled, is used in several other verses in scripture, and most often it is translated "contends with", however in 1  Sam 15 the word i is used to describe an ambush the people of Israel attacked the Amelakites. In other words, it is a serious and possibly one-sided conflict, more like a slaughter than an argument.  The people weren't asking nicely, in fact the possibility of the threat of physical violence could be in the realm of possibility, and they might have had stones in their hands.

When I look at this situation, it seems to me to be an accusation of unmet expectation. Now, there is some reasonableness, water is necessary for life, especially in the desert, but it is the way in which they approached the issue that seems to be the issue.  They didn't ask nicely, they didn't inquire of the Lord, they didn't wait for Him to provide, what was clearly needed and understood, they didn't pray, they demanded water, violently.  

As I was thinking through this situation, several personal situations popped into my mind where I had unmet expectations on the Lord, and I was reminded of my own actions, which could totally be labeled unbelief.  I try diligently to follow the Lord in every major decision, and there have been a few times, where following Him has led me into a difficult situation, or situation that was not what I imagined it would be.  The latter is more common.  

When God speaks into my life I am always believing it will work out for the best, and by best I mean, the best I can imagine, or more specifically "what I would like to happen".  It is probably not actually the best for me, but I am pretty self-focused and often look at my finances as a major indicator of God's provision, and blessing.  I have been led into jobs that ended, jobs where I ended up being laid off, and I remember very clearly turning to God, and saying something like, "Is this what You call provision?"  

Honestly, plenty of the time I am praying and seeking the Lord, and tying my best to humbly wait on Him, but there are times that an underlying accusation rises up, and that is the result of unbelief.  This thought that God has led me here to starve or die of thirst (figuratively), rises up and I find myself agreeing with it.  This is the same sin as the Israelites committed here in Meribah. 

If I wanted to identify these similar thoughts or actions, I could put together a list:

1) I didn't sign up for this God!

2) You clearly don't know what's best for me, so I will choose a different path!

3) I have been waiting on You for the fulfillment of this promise, but You have never fulfilled it so I am going to make it happen!

4) If you don't do this for me, I am going to walk away!

5) If You loved me...

6) I am done with this... church... job ... marriage (anything entered into while following the Lord).

I could go on and on, but I think for me this list will suffice.  The truth is there has been, and continues to be, a bit of unbelief in my life.  I don't want to wait on God (He would have surely provided water in time to save them).  I don't believe His plan is the best for me, because difficulty and struggle clearly can't be good for me (tongue firmly in my cheek on that statement).  I am too self-focused and selfish to look at the bigger picture, and I believe my own thoughts and expectations more than I believe His word and promises.  Ouch, that last one really hit home. 

So, what am I to do?  

I believe the answer can be found in Heb 3: 12-13.  I need to turn towards God, this requires repentance (literally turning my mind and heart), seek His forgiveness, and daily encourage myself, and the Body, that God is faithful, good, loving, merciful and compassionate!  

He knows my situation!  

He has a plan!  

His plan is perfect!  

I need to wait on the Lord, and put the stone  of accusation down.  

I need to believe that He will lead me and guide me. 

I need to trust Him!

I need to believe Him!

I need to do exactly what He tells me to do, nothing more, and nothing less!

I need to ask for more faith! 

God does totally get it!  He understands my situation better than I do, and He is faithful!  He is faithful to lead me, even when I choose wrongly.  He is faithful to continue to love me and direct me, even when I don't trust Him.  He is faithful to forgive me when I take matters into my own hands.  He has already taken upon Himself any punishment my actions would have earned under the Law, so I don't need to fear His punishment.  I can turn towards Him, and enter His rest, immediately!  

I certainly don't deserve this love, or faithfulness on God's part, but that is  what the Gospel is all about!  None of us deserves any goodness, faithfulness or provision, and yet God in His unbelievable mercy and love, extends the offer to us all!   

Lord, help me to recognize any area where my heart is hardened and help me turn towards You.  Forgive me for any and all unbelief that still exists in my heart and mind!  Help me to believe!  Help me to trust!  Help me to wait on Your perfect plan!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment