Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Jesus: Alive, Well and Reigning


This morning I have been reading a bit of Paul's second letter to Timothy and one of the things Paul wrote got me thinking.  Here are the verses - 2 Timothy 2:8-10 NIV:

[8] "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, [9] for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained. [10] Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory."

As I read verse 8, I thought to myself, "that is an interesting way to sum up the Gospel."  I guess if someone were to ask me to sum up the Gospel, I would definitely not include descended from David, at least in my first thoughts.  

This got me thinking about the  faith subjects that I think about most often, and it led me to the conclusion that I often am focused on the ministry of Jesus, rather than His Crucifixion and Resurrection, which is really the turning point of history.  I believe Paul includes the reference to David, as a way of framing, and founding this amazing plan of God in the Word and history of the Jews.   He believes that is important, as without that understanding we don't have the proper context for Jesus' life, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension and established Kingdom.  

Paul was so confident in this Gospel that He preached it unto his death.   He  endured much that he might faithfully bear witness to Jesus, and instruct "the elect" in everything, continuing to encourage them to hold fast to this Gospel.  His perseverance was much more than a life-style, it was a loyalty and dedication to Jesus, His savior, the Messiah, the Risen One!  His Gospel was lived out daily, and defended ardently, because it was embodied in Jesus Christ, now Risen and alive. 

As I think over this, I realize that for me, I too often find myself relating to the historical Jesus, that which is provided to us in Gospel accounts, rather than to the alive and Risen Jesus, who is alive, every bit as much today as He was in Paul's day.  I worship Him, and pray to Him and interact daily with Him, but if I were to be asked to describe Him, or think about Him, I tend to defer to that which is written in the Word, rather than speaking of Him as I know Him in my life today. 

This morning, I find myself encouraged to change the way I think about Jesus throughout the day.  I am encouraged to look to Him as He is, alive and well and interacting today!  I am encouraged to embrace this changed thought pattern to learn to think of Jesus alive and active today, first and foremost.  Lord, help me to change, to revise, to renew my minds defaults and see you as You are, alive and well, resurrected and reigning!

Note: the picture is me today, as I post this, as a reminder that Jesus is just as alive, He is just as present, He is not a historical figure only. 

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment