Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Something Completely Different


This morning I have been reflecting on Isaiah, chapter 19, which if you haven't read, is one that is quite surprising.  Reading the first verse, it seems like many of the other prophetic announcements, found in the major and minor prophetic books, against one of Israel's enemies, the nation of Egypt.  Here is the beginning - Isaiah 19:1 NIV:

[1] "A prophecy against Egypt: See, the Lord rides on a swift cloud and is coming to Egypt. The idols of Egypt tremble before him, and the hearts of the Egyptians melt with fear."

I was imagining Isaiah writing this down, in His prophetic flow, whatever that looked like, and then the Lord, shifts the theme and Isaiah find himself writing things he had never heard nor thought before.  I am reminded of a Monty Python skit called "Now for Something Completely Different". By the time he finishes this chapter, his final verse is as follows - Isaiah 19:25 NIV:

[25] "The Lord Almighty will bless them, saying, “Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance. ”

These two verses represent a magnificent 180 degree change, or do they?

If God is always the same, unchanging, past, present and future, (see Heb 13:8) then these verses don't represent a change, but rather an unveiling of a deeper flow of God's heart for the people of Egypt.  I believe this deeper love for Egypt, while often not seen, represents God's true feelings towards them.

I was thinking that a couple of famous verses, also found in Isaiah's prophecies, are almost an apology from God to Isaiah.  God says through him in Isaiah 55:7-9 NIV:

[7] Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts. Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon. 

[8] “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. 

[9] “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

This theme of the repentance of wicked people, and God having mercy on them, is the core of the Gospel message, which Jesus fulfilled, and announced.  Many people, couldn't understand this apparently radical visitation of grace and mercy upon sinners, and Isaiah, while the speaking forth the very theme, probably had some serious questions as well.  God in His mercy, brought clarity.  

He doesn't think like us, nor can we think like Him!

He doesn't act like us (thankfully)!

Most of us, myself included, have very little depth of understanding of God and His ways.  We cruise along, holding onto a shallow, at best, understanding of God and His ways and Word, and think ourselves mature, or at least comfortable with our knowledge of God.  Then God does something or speaks something that rocks our understanding.  In that moment, we receive a bit of revelation, which we think opens up a door of insight to God's hidden ways, and we are correct, to a degree.  However, it is my belief that there is always greater depth, and deeper ways to God, that we will never grasp, even when we see Him face to face!  

Using the imagery of Egypt in scripture as an example, it was both a blessing and a curse to the Jews.  It initially was a place of shelter and abundance, even multiplication to the Jews, under Joseph, but soon became an enslaving nation. Later, in Matt 2, we see God sending Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus to Egypt to escape the killing plans of Herod, so Egypt was again a shelter for the very Son of God, not just His people.  Possibly these verses from Isaiah represent this very thing, the Blessing of God released on Egypt for their role in protecting Jesus.  I think that is probably a bit of an over-reach.

What I think we are seeing here in Isaiah 19, is the uncovering of God's truer feeling for the nation of Egypt, and the Assyrians ( which include present day Iraq and Iran).  When I say truer, I mean that we probably haven't actually plumbed the full depth of God's feelings for them, but He definitely loves them, and calls them His people.

Now, taking this thematic idea of God's seemingly deeper love, mercy and compassion towards those we would think of as His enemies, or at least the enemies of His people, we must revisit our own judgmental attitudes towards them.   Some of our brothers and sisters even go so far as calling down judgment on certain people groups.  I believe that this perspective, while possibly even founded on some scripture, like Isaiah 19:1, probably doesn't represent God's true heart towards these people.  I am reminded of two separate verses from the Gospels.

John 3:16-17 NIV:

[16] "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Matthew 9:11-13 NIV:

[11] "When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 

[12] On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. [13] But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I believe that Jesus' life and words best represent God's heart towards the world, towards all that are in the world, even towards those that are sinners and even possibly considered enemies of His church.  This is a very large stretch for most of us, but God doesn't limit Himself to our thoughts or our ways.  He is God, unchanging, and His plans, thoughts, emotions and purposes are far beyond our ability to comprehend.  We would, however, do well to emulate Him in his best revelation, His Son Jesus.  We would also do well to humbly accept that we don't actually understand all of God's ways.  

In summary, I am convinced that God sees the world differently than I do.  I am convinced that my grasp of His Word, is at best shallow.  I am convinced that my best path is to try to emulate His Son Jesus, in my life here, that I might represent Him to the best of my ability.  I am further convinced that I will be surprised by God's mercy, compassion and love!  He really is so far beyond my understanding and knowledge, but He is always inviting me deeper.  

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment