Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Don't Be Distracted, Waiting For The Wedding!


Last night I had an interesting dream.  I was attending a wedding, and it was a large crowd of people that were gathering, so much so that the facility was filling up with people.  It seemed that there was some delay with the starting of the ceremony, and the longer the delay, the more people that packed the facility to the point that it was standing room only.  As the delay continued, some of the waiting people started singing songs that they knew, and it became a fun almost concert-like environment, where one group would sing something, then another group.  I must confess, I was one who was leading a group of singers.  This went on for probably 15 minutes, and it was quite amazing.  As we finished one song I looked toward the front and realized in the midst of our singing we had totally missed the entrance of the bride and groom, for the wedding ceremony had already started.  That is where I woke up.

I must say every night is an adventure of dreams for me, and this was just one of several dreams I had last night.  However, this one certainly seems full of biblical imagery, and I though it an interesting picture.  We know from scripture that Jesus used the imagery of a wedding a few times.  He described the Kingdom of Heaven as a wedding feast (Matt 22:1-14), He talked about guests who had been invited, and those that chose not to attend. Jesus also talked the return of the master from a wedding banquet, and the need for the servants to be ready and waiting (Luke 12:35-38).  Finally in the Book of Revelations, the second coming of Jesus is called the Wedding of the Lamb (Rev. 19:7-9).  Finally I am reminded of a couple verses from Peter's second letter where he is writing of the day of the Lord (The second coming of Jesus) - 2 Peter 3:8-10 NIV:

[8] "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. [9] The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 

[10] But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare."

This dream seems to use some similar imagery, but is addressing the waiting period, and the attention of the wedding guests, of which I am clearly one.  I am sure that when Peter wrote those verses about waiting, he had no idea he was actually describing a wait for the second coming that would be two thousand years at least. The early church figured that the second coming was relatively soon, many thought t would happen in their life time, and yet we still are waiting.  

For many in the early church, the second coming was easy to imagine as they still were eye-witnesses to Jesus' actual life, and Ascension to Heaven, so the idea that He would come back in a similar way, soon, made total sense.  However, as the decades and even centuries have gone by, the idea of Jesus coming back, while always a theme, seems to have lost some of its impact.  I know that there are plenty who still preach the second coming, but at this point, we may think they are a bit "religious nutty", or maybe a bit cartoonish, as one carrying a sign announcing "The End is Near!"   

As I reflect at the content of my dream, I would say this an encouragement not to lose sight of why we are actually being gathered.  It is difficult to maintain our focus on the coming of the Bridegroom when He delays his arrival!  We would be wise to be prepared, to maintain our vigil, for we do not know the hour or day (Luke 12:38)  It would be important for us to not get distracted by our own cleverness, our own singing, if you will, and lose sight of the real reason we have been called. 

Sometimes, these days, it seems that we can become more focused on gathering for a great preacher, or gathering for a great worship experience, or even great fellowship, but the truth is that we are gathered, waiting for the Wedding of the Lamb!  Our experiences are not the focus, nor the reason for our gathering, we are called to join this great wedding, and though delayed that should be our focus and what we are preparing ourselves to experience!

My encouragement this morning is to remind myself of the truth of the second coming of Jesus, the Wedding of the Lamb, and to make sure I am prepared  personally.  I always have said, I don't know when the "End of the World" will come, or if will come in my life time. However,  I do know the "End of my world" will come in my life-time, and that is what I must be prepared for, whether it is today, tonight or 20 years from now. I must not become distracted by the seeming delay, but maintain my vigilance, and be ready.  For me, that means that I have accepted the salvation offered me by Christ Jesus (the wedding garment of His righteousness) and my light burning (continuing in my witness to Him in my life). 

My prayer is that you join me in maintaining our focus on the Lord, and not our own cleverness! 


Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment