Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, October 29, 2021

A Life and Legacy of Love and Faithfulness

This morning I have been reflecting on my life, a bit more than usual, as it was 6 years (plus 4 days) that my Dad passed on into heaven.  If there is one thing I can say that sums up my Dad's life, it would be to say he left a rich legacy of faith and love!  As I look at my life, I wonder if the same could be said of me, and it causes me to reflect, which is a good thing.  

Like usual in the midst of my reflection I like to go to scripture to get a different perspective, and today is no exception.  I started reading John's Gospel, and realized he didn't include his own testimony of the Lord calling him and his brother.  His Gospel is so different than the other three, much more of an eye-witness account, and I found it interesting that he didn't include the brief account that is included by the other Gospels.  Here is the account from Matthew 4:18-22 NIV:

[18] "As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. [19] “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” [20] At once they left their nets and followed him. 

[21] Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, [22] and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him."

Going back to John's Gospel, we find that when he refers to himself, it is often in relationship to Jesus, as the one Jesus loved (See John 13:33). I think this is a good perspective to have in life, that our significance really comes from our relationship with the Lord.  Not in a bragging sort of way, but as the source of identity and purpose and focus.  We are told that John and James, left their father, their boats, everything and followed Jesus.

In some of my past research I realized that James and John were likely the first cousins of Jesus, as it appears that their mother and Jesus' mother Mary were sisters. (see - https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2015/05/an-interesting-thoughti-wonder.html)  When I realized that, it helped me to understand, a bit more, the verses from Matthew where he describes James and John leaving everything to follow Jesus.  They were already well acquainted with Him, as first cousins, who might even have grown up together or at least seen each other regularly.  That being said, its clear that Jesus didn't begin His active ministry until after His baptism, and I believe that Jesus really did live a basically unremarkable, though perfectly obedient to the Father, life up until that point.  I wrote a few reflections on what I call "Reflections on a Quiet God" and they have to do with Jesus growing up, knowing He is the son of God, but not being released into ministry until He was 30 - they might be helpful.

This morning my reflection is centered on John.  His life, was unremarkable as well, up until that day that Jesus called him and his brother to follow him.  He was a fisherman, raised by a fisherman, living in a fishing village.  I am sure his daily life was focused mostly on fishing, providing sustenance for his family, and the community, for surely they sold their fish in the market.  The question, if you can call it that, that I am considering this morning, is how John lived His life out, after the 3 years of ministry with Jesus?  

It is clear from scripture that he spent those three years living with and following Jesus.  He was one of His most trusted disciples, and after Jesus ascended He was one of the leaders of the newly founded church.  However it was  the other James who was the primary leader of the Church (See Acts 15:13), John's brother James was executed by Herod (Acts 12:2), and Peter was the leader of the active ministry, and John was Peter's companion.  In fact, in the following Acts of the Apostles, we don't hear anything more about John specifically after chapter 8.  In fact, we don't really hear from or about John until he writes His letters and His Gospel, which were written later in His life. 

What we do know from history of the early church is that John was active in ministry in Jerusalem, then Ephesus and eventually Patmos, where he was banished.  According to early writers, "when John was aged, he trained Polycarp who later became Bishop of Smyrna. This was important because Polycarp was able to carry John's message to future generations. Polycarp taught Irenaeus, passing on to him stories about John. Similarly, Ignatius of Antioch was a student of John and later appointed by Saint Peter to be the Bishop of Antioch." ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_Apostle). 

Thus, while still recognized as a leader, we see that John was mostly concerned with establishing the church on a solid foundation.  He was a faithful follower and leader, but didn't require the spotlight.  He ministered for the remainder of his life, continuing to to follow the one who called him that day.  His faithfulness, and consistent witness were key to his legacy.  He didn't falter, that we know of, he continued on pursuing the call of His life, and was a faithful witness years after the rest of the Apostles  were gone, all martyred.  He is called by some the Apostle of love, for his first letter resonates with that core commandment.  He encouraged the followers of Jesus to love, as He (Jesus) loved us!  He wrote the following verses in his first letter 1 John 3:11,16-18 NIV:

[11] "For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another." 

[16] "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [17] If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? [18] Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

In summary, as I reflect on John's life, for a few minutes, I am encouraged that a life of faithfulness and love, a life dedicated to passing on what is known, what has been experienced, and what is most important, being loved by the Lord, is a life worth living, and a legacy worth passing on.  John knew Jesus maybe better than anyone alive, probably from the time of his childhood, and he dedicated his life to continuing Jesus' ministry and message.  He spent many years in obscurity, as a fisherman, then as one of the three most trusted companions, then as a leader dedicated to passing on to others such as Polycarp and Ignatius, Jesus' teachings and ministry of love. He was an eye-witness to Jesus, and his life was his witness. 

My prayer is that my life might be a witness to those that follow, to those that want to know this Jesus.  My prayer is that my relationship with Jesus would be that which is my anchor for my life, that which keeps me faithful and focused.  My prayer is that being "one that Jesus loved" is sufficient for me. My prayer is that my message of love, of loving one another, of loving in action, would be evident in and from my life. 

Amen! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment